URGENT-CA-PHS Shelter (Bay Area)

nastybreeder

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:24 pm

You´re right, you should be prepared in advance. That´s why I encourage you to learn what you can do to give your animal a quick easy death when necessary.

Nor would I let my kid suffer because of my pigs. My kid will always come first. I can ease a pig out quite humanely without spending a $100 to do it. I see that as taking food out of my family´s mouth. I can think of lots of better things to do with that money.

Ciaytee
Almost Inbred

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:41 pm

Whereas cracking a pig´s skull because he has the wrong markings is the epitome of human kindness.

Get real. You really believe death is a better alternative to temporary pain? Damn. You must go through more pigs than women do pantyhose.

Yet again, another person is using the ´this doesn´t apply to me, so it doesn´t apply to anyone, anywhere´ argument. It´s really not a difficult concept. I don´t understand why people can´t grasp it.

Just because your area does not have a pig population problem in no way affects the population in other areas.

Repeat after me, people. "I am not the center of the universe. What I see/do/experience is not the same as others see/do/experience. There is a world outside my doorstep."

I´m certain Teresa would thank the breeders for the wonderful gift of homeless pigs if she didn´t have so many dropped off on her doorstep. What was the number, Teresa? Something like 500 in the SF Bay area in the past year alone?

She cleans up the messes the breeders and petstores make. I don´t completely agree with her ideology and methods, either, but since I don´t have a rescue, I don´t have the audacity to criticize her for how she runs hers. And if you´re not out there trying to find homes for pigs (and despite what´s going on in your area, there are population problems in other areas), then you really don´t have the basis to criticize her, either.

Ciaytee
Almost Inbred

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:05 pm

And another thing. If living up to the responsibility you chose to accept by bringing animals into this world and into your home means that you cannot live up to your responsibilities to your family, then it is highly irresponsible of you to have animals.

You owe both your family and the animals more than that.

pinta

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:20 pm

You´d have to awfully hungry to eat cavy. There just isn´t much meat on ´em. Kinda like buffalo chicken wings.
And like crab legs they´d be an awful lot of work to clean for the return you´d get on them.

Well, "nastybreeder" is an excellent moniker for you. Perhaps you should add "Ignorant" to it. Cavies form a staple part of the diet in South America. Certainly in Peru where they are a standard menu item in restaurants and you can buy small bales of hay in the market to feed your stock kept in boxes in your highrise apartment.

And please don´t raise the hackneyed whine about how your kids come first. Duh. But the cold hard fact is that if you have to make a choice between your kids or paying for medical care for animals you brought into the world - what the hell are you doing breeding? You obviously can´t afford it.

Yup, nastybreeder suits you to a tee.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:29 pm

My kids and I would fast if it meant having the money to treat one of our animals with respect at the end of their lives. I believe what goes around comes around. In the long run, it has proven true in my life.

Although the emergency vet fee´s haven´t taken food out of our mouths, they did require a sacrifice. I hope one lesson I have taught my children is that doing the right thing usually costs something. Sometimes it´s money; sometimes it´s friendship,popularity whatever.... If they are brave enough to do this, I´ll be a very happy Mom.

nastybreeder

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:52 pm

Why can´t you have both? Respect and an easy non-veterinary death. What does the vet do that´s so special? You scoop it up and take it on a car ride to the vet (stressful situation). Vet handles it some (more stress). Gives it a shot (ouch! more stress) to relax the muscles to the point the cease to function and it dies of hypoxia.

My way: Place the pig in a box with bedding...seems like another cage. Add some co2, it gets sleepy and sleepier until it gradually passes away from hypoxia. No struggle, no car ride, no needle stick. Same result. Only I don´t have to wait for an appointment time to come around. I´m out in the barn at midnight and find a boar with intense colic in agony. I can deal with it in minutes, can you?

This doesn´t come easily to anyone. Everytime you lose an animal its a sacrifice. It IS a loss! I frequently still cry and cuss over the necessity of it. It doesn´t need to be a monetary sacrifice though.

Put another way, that $100 for the vet could buy a heck of a lot of pig chow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:05 pm

It doesn´t sound like you have any affection for your animals at all. Boar with intense colic in agony? No sense in trying to treat it, why not just put it out of its misery.

Too many breeder "euthanasias" are anything but.

nastybreeder

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:13 pm

Thanks, I´m glad you like the screenname. Only I´m not ignorant. I know they eat them in Peru and Bolivia. They´re also important in some religious rites. They tend to grow ´em bigger there though. More worthwhile to eat. I know of someone just left for Boliva today to get a goat project going in Bolivia to improve people´s lives there. She was telling me of a companion project to increase the meat production abilities of cavies as well. ´Coure if you stew ´em you don´t waste as much. If you are really interested in improving the world I can put you in touch with donating to either project.

I never said I´d crack a mis marked animal. It´s easier for me to sell them as pets.

Yup, this is a good one. I suggest we ALL do it, even the rescue folk. Repeat after me, people. "I am not the center of the universe. What I see/do/experience is not the same as others see/do/experience. There is a world outside my doorstep."

Actually, I can afford to both have a family/life and cavies quite easily. I do this by not running the animals to a vet everytime they sneeze. I´ve educated many vets in my practice on cavies. Got tired of paying them for the privilege though. Eventually I noticed that whether I treated them or the vet treated them the outcome was the same. One time I had an abscess lanced. I thought the animal should have been rehydrated as well but the vet insisted he was fine. Took him home and he was dead the next day. I should have stomped my feet harder about it. Live and learn.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:26 pm

I seem to remember some discussion regarding death by Co2 indicating it was a painful method to die (might have been an article on methods of suicide for humans). Humane euthanasias would need a discussion all their own. Most pet owners will not want to be the instrument -- but more knowledge might help them choose or understand the best methods.

Without an autopsy, you would not know what killed your animal. Certainly rehydration wouldn´t hurt but it may have made no difference whatsoever.

nastybreeder

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:28 pm

Cecitis= inflammation of the caecum. The caecum is part of the digestive tract, but then you knew that Miss Smarty Pants. You could also call it colic. Our vets around here have seen it. They suggest euthanasia for that and for prolapsed rectums. It´s much kinder to the animal. They feel that´s the HUMANE thing to do. I´ve had babies prolapse without diarhea. Not frequently but its happened.

nastybreeder

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:33 pm

Lynx:
CO2 "can" be somewhat traumatic if too much is administrered too fast. If you do it slowly enough the animal becomes drowsy and then sleepy and then dead. But much less traumatic than living through the night with an intensely painful condition. I can direct you to a website if you like.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:41 pm

Hey, don´t pick on our Miss Smarty Pants!! She certainly doesn´t deserve it!

You´ve labeled yourself a "nastybreeder". What I´d like to know is how nasty are you? Have you read Josephine´s article on what she feels constitutes a responsible breeder? Do you fall far from her definition?

I thought she had alot of insight. Many people here would agree with her definition of a responsible breeder. How do you feel about the responsibility you have toward your "stock"?

http://www.cavyspirit.com/responsiblebreeder.htm
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.