Injectable Ivermectin dosage?

Laura823

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 6:50 pm

Does anyone know what the dosing guidelines for injectable Ivermectin are? I know it goes by weight, but I could not find anything specific. My vet is not an exotics vet and I want to make absolutely sure my pigs are getting the correct dosage. I´m more concerened about my younger one as this is her first time being treated and she is only about 10 weeks.

Also, I´m wondering how many shots are usually recommended. Piglet was treated the first time with 3 shots approximately 10 days apart, as my vet suggested. But the mites came back shortly afterwards and it took 4 more shots before they cleared up completely. I don´t want that to happen again! Should 3 shots be enough or should I go with 4 to be safe?

They are going in for the first shot on Friday. Any help would be appreciated.

Jill

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 6:54 pm

Laura, click on the Guinea Lynx box at the top of the page (right below the large GUINEA LYNX caption). Lynx has compiled all kinds of information on ivermectin.

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:00 pm

When Piglet was first treated, were the other pigs treated too? If they weren´t the treated pig will quickly be reinfested with mites from the untreated pigs.

Laura823

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:06 pm

Thanks for the quick replies - pinta, the first time Piglet was treated I didn´t have any other pigs. I have only had Mitzi, my other pig, for a little over a month. (Of course, she didn´t show signs of mites until AFTER her 3-week quarantine!)

I have read the info on Guinealynx but most of it seems to apply to oral ivermectin. Are the doses that same?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:36 pm

The oral and injected dose rates are the same. 0.2mg/kg. But if I were you, I would have him do the oral instead of the injected. Less painful and there won´t be irritation at the injection site. It works the same.

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:45 pm

You can bring mites home if you´ve been in contact with infested pigs and haven´t washed up thoroughly (and changed your shirt) before handling your own pigs. I believe it´s the eggs that can hitch a ride. They won´t infest you but can transfer to your pigs.