Ensure for guinea pigs?

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:06 pm

edit

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:27 pm

Well, I assume a more calorie-rich supplement for guinea pigs would have to consist of plant protein. So far, I'm thinking of soybeans, seaweed, other beans, or gluten. What else could go into it?

melcvt00

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:33 pm

I'm e-mailing Oxbow.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:27 pm

My vet has recomended mixing the critical care with the ensure, also. He's suggested two reasons behind it, to make the ensure more palatable? and to add some extra calories.

I've only personally done it once, before reading much about handfeeding here when Angel was very sick and had lost a ton of weight in August 2002. She didn't react badly to it, but I don't think it had much positive effect either.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:53 pm

I don't like feeding either soy or Ensure to cavies. I'd rather go with something more biologically appropriate that won't cause gas (like soy) or have the improper ratios of many nutrients (like Ensure).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:54 pm

Mel, if you get a response, as kif you can reprint it on the forum. Dawn has given me permission before regarding some nutritional advice.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:18 am

Josephine, what would be biologically appropriate?

I spent some time in the health aisle at the grocery store today, contemplating different products and comparing. Still interested in hearing any expert opinions, but some people I think might be willing to try the unorthodox when they have a dying pig on their hands.

The two which I thought might be the least offensive/most palatable (see, covering all my bases here):

Ensure Plus

Lower in calcium than the other Ensures and higher in C. Also higher in Calories.

Naked Juice Protein Zone

Very high in C, but also higher in sugars that the Ensure. Lower in calories but the ingredients are more natural.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:35 am

I'm not sure why you're looking at these alternatives when Critical Care would do a good job.

Paddington

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:06 am

I am fairly familiar with both brands (Naked Juice & Ensure). I don't know where I stand on using them in conjunction with Critical Care, but if it was a person I was dealing with I'd choose the Naked Juice brand hands down over Ensure. For whatever its worth in this conversation.

Red Blur
Chocolate Giver

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:16 pm

I'm not sure why you're looking at these alternatives when Critical Care would do a good job.

I think Chary is talking about pigs who are so ill that they are still losing weight even though they are being handfed Critical Care.

the Critical Care wasn't doing the trick.
some people I think might be willing to try the unorthodox when they have a dying pig on their hands.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:27 pm

Lynx, please go back to my original post:

They told me that their regular hand feeding regimen included adding Ensure to the Critical Care for extra calories if an anorexic pig is unable to put on weight because of recovery from illness.

I checked this idea out with my vet and he liked the idea as well. Wither is actually getting 1/2 pellet mash and 1/2 Critical Care to stave off bloat, flavored with a bit of fruit baby food and some Ensure.

gracielee
Me, too!

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:54 pm

I wonder if a more elemental (broken down) formula would be a better alternative? Adult nutritionals (human) come in elemental form, but I'd have to look them up to know their names, as it's been 10 years since I did any adult care. Ross's (the makers of Ensure) product used to be called Vital, Mead Johnson's (Boost) had one, too.

I would be worried about iron levels, too. And fat. All those formulas are fairly high in fat and simple carb content. I would be worried about GI problems.