horse lice

lisam

Post   » Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:48 pm

I talked to my horse vet today, and she gave me the go-ahead to try the ivermectin topically on my horses. She couldn´t remember ever reading or hearing about anyone using it that way before, so maybe I will be the first! Although people do with cattle, don´t they? At any rate, next time I go to the feed store I will be getting the Ivomec (Pour on if they have it).

lisam

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:32 am

Lynx, they didn´t have Ivomec Pour on at the feed store, only the Ivomec Drench for Sheep. I bought it anyway, but it is .08% and I am not sure, now, of the dosage. Should I take it back and try for the Pour on at another feed store, or will this work too? Boy, this stuff is expensive. But if it can get rid of the lice it is worth it.

If you can show me the math for how much to use per Kilo, I should be able to figure out each horse.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:42 pm

That stuff should work just fine. It is slightly more diluted than the typical pour-on, but it is ivermectin just the same.

You need the weight of your animal in kilos. The pour-on dose is 0.5 mg/kg. The sheep drench you bought I think is .8mg/ml. So the idea is to figure out what the total dose is for the weight of horse you have and then determine what volume of drench will provide that dose.

It is poured in a line down the back -- head to tail. Since it is more diluted, your horse may be kind of oily but it will also serve to spread the ivermectin better.

If you can get the weight of your horse, we can figure it out. I´ll post it here so anyone can catch any math errors.

lisam

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:11 pm

Thanks. One is 750 lbs, one is 600lbs, the other two are between 300 and 350 lbs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:42 pm

750 lb = 341 k @ 0.5 mg/kg dose is 170.5 mg
600 lb = 273 k @ 0.5 mg/kg dose is 136.5 mg
300 lb = 136 k @ 0.5 mg/kg dose is 68 mg
350 lb = 159 k @ 0.5 mg/kg dose is 79.5 mg

(Check your bottle -- I think it should be .8mg/ml -- I don´t have one to look at, but I think this is the rate)

To get 170.5mg you need to dose topically with 213 cc of the drench
To get 136.5 mg you need to dose topically with 171 cc of the drench
To get 68 mg you need to dose topically with 85 cc of the drench
To get 79.5 mg, you need to dose with 99 cc of the drench

If this looks too messy, you can return it and get the pour on. Since it would have 5mg/ml [1 cc = 1 ml], you would be applying much less. I think the price would be comparable but the pour-on just might be a bit cheaper as there isn´t as much dilutant as was used for the sheep drench. The other thing you could do if you wanted is to get the injectable that has 10mg/ml and dilute it 50/50 with propylene glycol which would essentially give you the proportions of the pour-on.

If you have any questions, you could read the ivermectin page to understand it more thoroughly.

lisam

Post   » Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:49 am

Thanks again. I´ve read the label several times, and it says 0.08%. I find it interesting that the inert ingredients are never listed on horse products.

I may keep this and use it for my pigs (although I wonder if I would ever use up 960 ml by the expiration date of may 2006) and get the Pour on for the horses.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 05, 2002 12:34 pm

To give you some idea of cost for the injectable, it usually comes in 50ml bottles and costs about $45 (give or take -- I think I´ve seen generic for $35 -- I would get online and look). This is a 1% solution and each 10ml has 10 mg ivermectin. The whole bottle has 500 mg ivermectin which would treat @ 0.2 mg/kg, 2500 kilos of animal (5,500 pounds). Used topically @ 0.5 mg/kg this bottle would treat 1000 kilos of animal (2,200 pounds).

The bottle you got (sheep drench) would have 768 mg of ivermectin and will treat 1536 kilos of animal topically @ 0.5mg/kg.

You have under a thousand kilos of horse -- but they may need two treatments to kill the eggs so you may actually need more ivermectin (if my figures are correct).

LynnK

Post   » Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:16 pm

This is a very interesting thread good luck to you lisa I hope it all works out. May the Force be with you!

Lynn K

lisam

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:58 pm

AAAARG! Now my pigs have mites! I am reading over and over again the ivermectin page on guinealynx. I don´t know why I need you to walk me through, but I just can´t figure it out. Is the sheep stuff safe to use on the pigs? I know it says it is probably best, but is that for the pigs or the sheep? And I have never done them topically before--do I do a drop behind each ear, or down their backs?

I have yet to try the horses--one of the ponies is very sick with liver problems and the vet said I should probably wait a little.

This bottle of ivomec Drench is sitting here by the computer begging to be used.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2002 7:38 am

I´ll have to work up the dose for you with the sheep ivermectin. It will work fine. But it is a different solution (proportion of ivermectin to dilutant) so you can´t use the dosing table. Also, if you want to do it topically, it is a different rate.

Can´t do it right now. I´ll try to later. Your pigs will be kind of oily if you do it topically.

lisam

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2002 9:54 am

I could do the pigs orally with the Drench, if that is easier and safe.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2002 11:43 pm

Check this document on sheep ivermectin: https://www.guinealynx.info/guinealynx/NADA131-392.html

The sheep drench you describe as having .8mg/cc can be used topically or orally.

Topical:
Weigh your guinea pigs and apply behind the ears: 0.625 cc/kg
This will dose them at 0.5mg/kg (one cc contains 0.8mg ivermectin: 0.625 cc contains .5 mg ivermectin).

Oral:
Weigh your pigs and use 0.25 cc/kg
This will dose them at 0.2 mg/kg (one cc contains 0.8 mg ivermectin: 0.25 cc contains 0.2 mg ivermectin).

Reread the ivermectin page if you need to.