DMSO with Fluocin with Baytril topical for Bumblefoot?

Teresa

Post   » Sun Sep 01, 2002 11:43 pm

Prescribed by a vet for bumblefoot. Thoughts?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:52 am

Hmmm... I don´t personally care for DMSO. It may help to get the swelling down, but has an awful rancid garlic smell. It is also absorbed through human skin and you will taste it just by having touched it! Yucky. I got edema and cellulitis down by treating solely for the bacteria.

I haven´t tried the Baytril topically for this condition. It might be a good idea. I had great success on my pododermatitis pigs with chlorhex soaks and BNP topically. Is this for the Hollister pigs? Are they still having problems? After this amount of time there should be some progress. There may be some damaging osteomyelitis hanging up the healing.

Oh, and that Fluocin is a topical steroid. Not sure if I´d go for the steroids, but it might help reduce swelling. I personally don´t use steroids unless it´s an emergency and the pig is dying (or in pain). Topical steroids are less harsh, but they do have side-effects on the body.
Sharlene actually used systemic steroids on two of her worst pododermatitis cases. It was suspected, however, that the cause of their problems had something to do with an autoimmune disease.
Last edited by Josephine on Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teresa

Post   » Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:57 am

Yes, several Hollister pigs still have significant bumblefoot. Soaks and meds have been done.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:16 am

Josephine, do you bandage and wrap your pigs´ feet also? Are your chlorhex soaks with BNP applied topically done once or twice a day? Is the chlorhex diluted or used full strength?

Sorry for all the questions, but it may help someone else (and I could add another method of treatment to the foot page).

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:54 am

I think I´ve covered this many times before :)

Yes, I wrap the feet when they are ulcerated. Once they are healed to the point of no scabs/open sores, I leave well enough alone. I also use systemic antibiotics. Baytril is the best for penetrating bone. The BNP is applied BID and the soaks are done BID with diluted chlorhexidine. I think I stopped doing the soaks once the ulcerations were gone, but I continued the ointment to help moisturize and get some topical ab on it.

If these pigs have not been on Baytril, I would put them on it for at least a month. 10mgs/kg/day of course. Taking an xray can tell you a bit about bone involvement and prognosis. I know you can´t amputate multiple feet, but after a couple of months of treatment, that may provide the best prognosis if one is worse than the others. I try not to, of course. These cases can take months, but you should be seing improvement.

I also suggest bedding on towels and unabrasive bedding. Not sure if Carefresh is soft enough. Possibly. I also made sure I changed the bedding daily when the pigs were out of their bandages.

I suppose the ointment prescribed could be your last ditch effort if none of the above seems to help. You might be dealing with some osteomyelitis. That would prolong things.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:58 am

I think I´ve covered this many times before :)

Yes, I wrap the feet when they are ulcerated. Once they are healed to the point of no scabs/open sores, I leave well enough alone. I also use systemic antibiotics. Baytril is the best for penetrating bone. The BNP is applied BID and the soaks are done BID with diluted chlorhexidine. I think I stopped doing the soaks once the ulcerations were gone, but I continued the ointment to help moisturize and get some topical ab on it.

If these pigs have not been on Baytril, I would put them on it for at least a month. 10mgs/kg/day of course. Taking an xray can tell you a bit about bone involvement and prognosis. I know you can´t amputate multiple feet, but after a couple of months of treatment, that may provide the best prognosis if one is worse than the others. I try not to, of course. These cases can take months, but you should be seing improvement.

I also suggest bedding on towels and unabrasive bedding. Not sure if Carefresh is soft enough. Possibly. I also made sure I changed the bedding daily when the pigs were out of their bandages.

I suppose the ointment prescribed could be your last ditch effort if none of the above seems to help. You might be dealing with some osteomyelitis. That would prolong things.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:39 pm

Forgot you may have given details already (should have used the search feature). With the double post I´ll be sure to remember.

Teresa

Post   » Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:47 pm

BNP and BID again?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:14 pm

I think bacitracin/neosporin/polysomething and twice a day.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:21 pm

Close. Bacitracin-Neomycin-Polymyxin B. The ingredients IN Neosporin. This is to say I think the generics are just as good. BID is every 12 hours, remember, Lynx?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:53 pm

Yes, Teach. So I was only close with the polysomething? Would make a good drug to patent, no? I´d like to see some parasomething and novosomething too.
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:03 pm

J-
Watch out! People will get on their high horses again! You´re such a trouble maker.