Weight loss after changing to a pellet-free diet

christina

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 10:43 pm

I don't know how many people here have switched to a pellet-free diet? (Technically they do still get a bit of pellets--they are just not freely given and not all the time.)

I am wondering how much weight loss, if any, that you have noted?

I switched for dental reasons which has been pretty successful so far for the pig I had concerns about. The others don't have a history of dental issues.

All of the pigs eat lots of KM hay and get veggies daily, but a couple have lost about 2-3 ounces in total.

I was wondering what others experiences might be like?

Thanks!

cavyravy

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 10:53 pm

How big is your pig?

I'm asking because I have a "fat" pig and would like to also get him to lose some weight. I figured Richard Simmons didn't have a cavy program out yet.

christina

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 11:05 pm

The boar that concerns me is now 2 pounds, 1 ounce. He used to weigh a considerable amount more. When I first had him, he was up to 2 pounds, 13 ounces per vet records and they listed him as obese! He was my first pig and hadn't been well-cared for prior so I think he ate tons of pellets and I know he was in a tiny cage. After having him some time his weight was closer to 2 pounds, 8 ounces.

He had surgery this year for a benign tumor and had a really hard recovery. He lost weight and stayed around 2 pounds, 4 ounces. So now he has ended up losing a total of 3 more ounces since the change in diet. He is very healthy and active in all other ways-he is fully recovered and his old self.

He is an older pig, at least 4 years old and I have had him for 3.

cavyravy

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 11:33 pm

I don't think this pig needs a diet at all. My boar is 3lbs even. He's chunky, but not that bad off. My problem with him is that he has heart problems.

I hope someone else chimes in.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 11:37 pm

Perhaps you could supplement him with some alfalfa?

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 11:39 pm

How does a pellet-free diet help a pig with dental issues?

christina

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 11:40 pm

Cavyravy, this isn't intended for any diet reasons--only to promote dental health!

Alfalfa? Wouldn't that be too much calcium for an older pig?

Erin-pellet-free diets force higher hay consumption. They really do eats lots more hay since their pellets have been taken out of the cage. Dr. Legendre suggested this to us a long time ago for our piggie who already passed away, and now that another has some questionable teeth problems we have implented this diet.
Last edited by christina on Thu May 13, 2004 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavyravy

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 11:42 pm

oh, okay.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 11:43 pm

My understanding is that a small amount of weightloss is normal when going off pellets. Pellets are rather like pigs' "junkfood" in that they get quite a few empty calories.
I wouldn't let him loose too much more before you decide to perhaps add extra pellets in for him.
Which guinea pig is this?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 11:44 pm

Well, some pigs have calcium problems and some don't. It sounds like this boar isn't getting enough calories from his diet to regain what he lost.

christina

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 11:44 pm

This is my old Fuzzybear. He had some pellets today, and I have been thinking I should give him more--maybe during play time. He does love them and eats a ton!

Hobie's teeth appear to be doing well since the change, and his weight is stable.

Salana--he wasn't gaining weight when he still had the pellets. It's like his weight just hit a standstill. I think he could regain if given pellets now, though.
Last edited by christina on Thu May 13, 2004 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 11:45 pm

Ah, ok, that does make sense. Maybe I should try a limited pellet diet, some of mine could use some weight loss.