Weight loss after changing to a pellet-free diet

newwave_polly

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 11:45 pm

Moe is a little under 3 pounds. I say it's all hair and muscle. He's got a bit of a buddha belly when he's flipped over though. I wouldn't consider putting him on a diet, because I think he's fine, very active too.

Edit: Totally delayed response to cavyravy.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 11:46 pm

I've noticed that the big boars are generally pretty muscular when they reach the 3 pound mark, while sows tend to be more flabby. Isn't that the way it goes in most humans, too? :)

christina

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 11:48 pm

ha ha! I see that too. My older girl Pineapple is kinda soft and squishy, but the boars are pretty solid.

newwave_polly

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 11:50 pm

It's just not fair.

cavyravy

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 11:52 pm

Coronas catching up to you Polly?

Erin: Bandit is 3lbs, and I can honestly say it isn't all muscle. He's a chubby thing!

When you do a pellet-free diet, what exactly should the diet consist of?

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 11:54 pm

I'd go ahead and give Fuzzybear a few more treat pellets when you have him out. It's a catch-22, because if they are lighter they don't have the reserves to fight an aillness or infection, but if they have teeth issues, that in itself can kill them.
Tough call. I always feel I have some breathing room if the pig isn't "too light to fight and too thin to win".

cavyravy

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 11:54 pm

Isn't that the way it goes in most humans, too? :)

I missed that one! Men are so solid because they are full of shite.

christina

Post   » Fri May 14, 2004 12:00 am

Yeah, I think it might be best to add pellets back in for Fuzzybear--perhaps permanently. I'm not really comfortable with thin pigs when I think about how many different problems can come up and not have any extra fat on them. That is a really important point.

Well, at least he doesn't live with the teeth pig Hobie--Hobie will be really upset if Fuzzybear starts bragging about the pellets he's not getting!

A pellet-free diet just contains what you would normally give minus the pellets! Veggies/limited fruit and lots of hay! Dr. Legendre recommends it because hay and grasses wear the teeth better than anything else. When they fill up on pellets and veggies they can eat less hay and not be getting the best dental workout.