Diarrhea + fit

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 2:29 am

You might want to hide your stew pot. Just in case.......

That is great news on her recovery.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 2:37 am

Which pig is going to be on your label? Witherspoon? I could probably put one pig on the front label and one on the back.

I'm going to be gone for two weeks after May 28th. I have the shipping containers, labels and the wine. All I need is a jpg file.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu May 13, 2004 4:12 am

Billy Bob. I will send it! But I'm deciding between these two.

Which is of course the same picture. The second one Paravati tweaked for me.

And of course there is always this.

Perhaps I will just send you the whole pig?

Hee hee hee.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri May 14, 2004 12:03 am

Cute pictures. I could probably work two into the label.

How is Miss Meg doing?

Charybdis

Post   » Fri May 14, 2004 1:05 am

She is doing well. Ate all her hay and veggies. She is drinking water but I am still giving SQ. Bactrim, Polycitra, and Torb. Every 6 hours on the Torb -- the incision looks painful and this is the 2nd time she has been opened up there. This pig never ceases to amaze me with her resilience.

Becky

Post   » Fri May 14, 2004 8:32 pm

Personally, I'd keep up the sq's at least every other day for a while.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri May 14, 2004 8:34 pm

Murphy's Law always catches up with me when I say things like that.

The vet just called. He said that he removed a mass from Meg's bladder during the surgery and sent it out to the lab. They say that it is a "low-grade malignant sarcoma." The vet feels that it is possible that this is a side effect of the chronic cystitis, but it is also possible that she has bladder cancer.

She is still doing fine. Becky, I'm giving 20 ml of LRS every day.

Becky

Post   » Fri May 14, 2004 8:57 pm

This is totally my opinion. It should not be considered anything else, as I have nothing more than a hypothesis about this.

I think bladder stones are a symptom of bigger problems rather than the cause of other problems. This is why I think this. The many pigs I've read about here and on the stones list seem to have various other medical situations. There doesn't seem to be any commonality, particularly with the multiple-stoner pigs.

In some of the reading I've been doing, calcium absorbtion seems to be affected by various other conditions/diseases/illnesses. I think something gets out of whack and this awful cycle of stones, irritation, sludge, more stones, begins.

I also think there's a difference between the pig that has one, isolated stone and those that go on to produce multiple stones.

Again, this is pure conjecture on my part, but I think it's important and interesting to discuss these things. I'd love to hear what some of the vet techs, nutritionists, chemists, scienctists, etc., have to say about this.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri May 14, 2004 9:01 pm

The vet did say that the mass may have something to do with the stone formation.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri May 14, 2004 10:19 pm

I don't have any Satins, but do they tend to get stones? It might be tied in with their other calcium problems.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri May 14, 2004 10:23 pm

Meg's not a satin.

From what I understand, Satins can have a Ca deficiency. Usually we supplement with calcium lactate for that.

I don't know why, but this is bothering me a lot. She's on her third stone surgery, has one failing kidney and a damaged liver, and somehow the fact that she might have bladder cancer is really upsetting.

Becky

Post   » Fri May 14, 2004 10:44 pm

Meg sounds like she's feeling OK. Sometimes it's hard to think about all of the possibilities, but her life has been improved so much by you and all of the other people who have helped her along the way.

She's getting good care, seems to be comfortable and is doing really well for three surgeries. Sometimes there are factors beyond our control. If it's cancer, you'll deal. That's what you do.

In the meantime, enjoy all those headbutts.