I think I'm losing Lucy . . .

Teresa

Post   » Thu May 20, 2004 10:55 pm

Lucy is 6 or so. Maybe older. Not sure. Anyway, she seems to have hurt her back paw. She is limping and holding it close to her. But the rest of her seems not so good, either. She is slowing down a bit on her eating. The rest of her frame seems to be causing her trouble and pain, too.

I have that feeling that she is going. I'm not sure I want to put her through the stress of a vet visit with x-rays and whatnot. Not sure what anything would accomplish at this point. In holding her today, she was doing some of those preliminary twitchy spasms which I have never seen a pig recover from.

Lucy was our second pig and the one that was responsible for starting the rescue. I really think she is just at her time. Wondering what others have experienced as an older pig shuts down and if I should try giving her some Meloxicam or other pain meds.

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Thu May 20, 2004 11:06 pm

I am sorry, I have nothing to offer but good thoughts. Good luck to you. Sounds like she is a very special pig.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu May 20, 2004 11:11 pm

I'm sorry. I don't see what harm pain meds would do, although maybe pred would be the best if you think it really is the end.

JodiMN

Post   » Thu May 20, 2004 11:18 pm

Oh Teresa, I'm sorry. Give her an extra snuggle for me.

GP Slave
The check's in the mail....

Post   » Thu May 20, 2004 11:25 pm

I wish you the best Teresa.

lisam

Post   » Thu May 20, 2004 11:26 pm

I'm sorry. I think pain meds would be fine.

ottosmom

Post   » Thu May 20, 2004 11:27 pm

I'm so sorry to hear Lucy is not doing well. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 20, 2004 11:29 pm

Ibuprofen would help with pain and swelling. So sorry about Lucy.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu May 20, 2004 11:32 pm

It sounds like arthritis is setting in. The back knees and hips is often where the pain is the worse. I would put her on Meloxicam ASAP, have her x-rayed and then seek therapy for her. Pinta has several arthritis pain. Their treatments include laser therapy, untrasound therapy, manipulation by an animal physiotherapist, pain management and also an experimental medication of which I can never remember the name. Carthrophen? Not sure.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 20, 2004 11:33 pm

I would give a subcue with B12, pain meds, and lots of love. Also handfeed or shred up veggies really fine and see if softened pellets and easier eating will spark some interest.

Rosie did that twitchy thing twice. Once it was his teeth and we were able to save him and give him some more happy healthy months with us, and once was when he went into heart failure and we put him to sleep.

I am sorry. I hope she will rest comfortably and that you will be okay.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 20, 2004 11:40 pm

I have cervical arthritis. I take lots of ibuprofen for it daily.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu May 20, 2004 11:48 pm

Definitely start some meloxicam. NSAIDS really can't hurt if the pain is the reason for the twitching and joint stiffness. I have yet to see a cavy make it past 6 who hasn't had some sort of joint aging. It's really to be expected at that age. It the wild, their bodies would have betrayed them long ago.

I would also consider supplementing with extra favorite veggies and even Critical Care slurry with additives (ground flax/flax oil?) to encourage eating. The omega 3's and 6's in the flax are natural arachadonic acid inhibitors, which are the molecules that preclude pain prostaglandins. I have used flax with several of my oldies and it only seems to help. Plus it adds some calories.