I think I'm losing Lucy . . .

Teresa

Post   » Thu May 20, 2004 11:49 pm

I did start Meloxicam. She's eating, just sometimes takes her a while to get interested in it. She doesn't have anymore pep.

I have a call in to Dr. N. Will discuss it with him tomorrow. She stresses very easily and doesn't like attention. Never has. Her second litter was a horrible experience for her at the vet and I'm just reluctant to put her through more of that unless I can be sure of a good reason for it.

B12? Where do I get that and how and how much?

-------------

edit, I'll get Flax stuff tomorrow

Evangeline

Post   » Thu May 20, 2004 11:51 pm

Making her able to use her four legs and not be in pain seem to me like a good enough reason to haul her over to the vet.

Teresa

Post   » Thu May 20, 2004 11:53 pm

And thanks for the words of support. I called Robert for him to come over and say goodbye. She was his pick of guinea pigs from a pet store way back when. Pregnant of course. That's how old she is.

Teresa

Post   » Thu May 20, 2004 11:58 pm

Making her able to use her four legs

Exactly. So the possibilities are:

a) arthritis, b) sprain, c) fracture, d) broken bone.

That's what I want to discuss with the vet first. Given her age and history, what can be done, what are the options.

I have pain meds here.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Hmm... Don't know on the B-12 dosage. I'm sure it's small. It's easier to overdo it on that than the tinge of B-vits (combo) I use in fluids, although they are both H2O soluable vitamins.

I would expect any well-stocked feed store to carry injectable stuff. I believe both the B-12 and B vits are OTC.
Maybe $3-4 a bottle at the most (100 mls+). The vet can also order some. I like to add Vitamin C injectable to fluids as well. That is also relatively inexpensive (similar price), but I have yet to see it in most feed stores. It needs to be kept cool, has a short shelf life, and really has very little use in other animals.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

e) bone tumor!

Teresa

Post   » Fri May 21, 2004 12:00 am

yuk. A tumor on the bone or in the bone?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri May 21, 2004 12:00 am

If you were closer, I could share some of my B and C vits. I'd have to ship them on ice, though, I guess it's possible.

I never use the full 100 mls before they expire! Darn guinea pigs and miniscule dosages...

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri May 21, 2004 12:01 am

Either, usually IN the bone.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri May 21, 2004 12:01 am

What dose of meloxicam did you give her, and can you safely increase it?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri May 21, 2004 12:02 am

Nasty buggers. I hope it's not, but given her age... it's always a possibility.

Teresa

Post   » Fri May 21, 2004 12:02 am

.15 mls