L.A. area shelter pigs for adoption

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 26, 2004 1:19 am

These are pigs in the following shelters in and around L.A. :

2 females at Orange County AC (High Kill)
2 boars at Santa Monica
1 boar at Baldwin Park (High Kill)
2 babies at West Valley
2 at Ventura
3 at Carson Valley -- 1 boar and 2 sows

Some of these pigs are pictured on our website: http://www.cavyhaven.org/shelter.htm

If you are looking to adopt a guinea pig in your area, please check the shelters first.

If there is a shelter in your area, please consider volunteering your time to help care for the animals. Many small animals in shelters do not receive proper care.

Please publicize the existence of small animals in the shelters in any way that you can. Most people do not know that shelters have guinea pigs, rabbits, and other "exotics."

Charybdis

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:01 am

Ah, lovely Baldwin Park Shelter.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:04 am

Those poor buns. They need a nestbox, of course. I hope they don't break all of their legs.... How depressing.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:07 am

Here is the boar available for adoption at Baldwin Park. Thanks to Jezza for going down there and getting the photo.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:10 am

Are those skinnies?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:21 am

Skinnies with long ears and cotton ball tails?

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:22 am

They're so tiny! How old are they, do you think?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:23 am

I don't know buns that well...

Chary? A couple of weeks? Are they that old?

Pigglies

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:28 am

I thought they looked about a week old? Fuzzies and with unopened eyes, wouldn't that be at about a week? At a few weeks they'd have more hair and open eyes I thought.

Jezza said she didn't know how old they were, didn't say at the shelter I guess. She put them in another space with towels since their feet were getting caught.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:40 am

If they open their eyes at two weeks, that sounds about right. That's about the time frame for puppies and kittens, too.

Poor buns. A week old, huh?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 12:58 pm

This is the last time I can do this for a little while, but 10 lbs. APD timothy will be donated to a qualified adopter for him. Feel free to use that as an incentive on your website.

This is where the butt hair snatcher works, correct? I'd like to see someone grab some of her ... okay, let's not go there.

MommyofGus

Post   » Thu May 27, 2004 1:23 pm

Oh my goodness! I have never seen baby buns! Look at those tails!

Chary, is it just me, or does CA have a raging problems with pigs at shelters? Is it the area? I'm just curious as to why there seem to be SO many in that area particularly.