Guinea pig milk analysis

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat May 29, 2004 11:14 am

I have searched everywhere and can't find the analysis for guinea pig milk. I need the protein and fat breakdown if anyone has it. I could also use the rest of the data if someone can find it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 29, 2004 2:29 pm

It's at the bottom of the breeding page (I think).

www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Sat May 29, 2004 4:27 pm

I suppose you could find it on the University of Maryland web somewhere. They did a complete study of milk and manually expressed the moms for the experimentation. The poor guineas lived in metal drawers and constantly pregnant. The nice vet tech who worked there let us rescue the piggies instead of letting them all get put to sleep.

Oh, I can't even remember the purpose of the study anymore but the study was cancelled due to no further interest. :-(

Judi

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat May 29, 2004 5:16 pm

I want to say it's in Harkness and Wagner but I don't have it here. I will check tonight. Judi, bless you for getting the study pigs.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Sat May 29, 2004 5:54 pm

It never ends...

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat May 29, 2004 8:31 pm

I'll check the website, I didn't see it on the breeding page anywhere.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat May 29, 2004 8:38 pm

Nope, I can't find it anywhere. The links to the U of Maryland simply pull up the Profs that were doing the work.
Oh Bats!! God of search eangines.... Help?

Becky

Post   » Sun May 30, 2004 2:44 am

OK, this won't help at all, but why on earth do you need this information?

Are you planning on milking your pigs and selling it on your website? Do you need the milk to feed your kids?

I'll stop now.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Sun May 30, 2004 2:49 am

I know this sounds icky, but gee.. when I was breastfeeding over 20 years ago, hmm... I didn't have guineas back then, but if I did, I swear there were times when I was SO VERY VERY TIRED, if I did have guineas, and they were willing, well...

I guess I better stop now, too. Don't want to give the bozos of the world any ideas.

Becky

Post   » Sun May 30, 2004 2:51 am

Judi, ha!

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun May 30, 2004 10:26 am

Becky, you crack me up! You too Judi. No, I'm trying to find a milk that closely approximates guinea pigs, if there is one out there. I found a place that has all types of really weird milks, like tiger, possum, etc.
Personally, in my current mood, I'm not real concerned if the kids eat or not. The youngest one here is 16 and if he can't feed himself, I give up.