9 at Clayton County Animal Control (Atlanta area)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:45 pm

Clayton County Animal Control called me today about nine adults surrendered over the weekend.

I have not seen them. I am told they are in pretty good shape. Right now they are in two cages, on wire, one water bottle each. I told them to put some newspaper over the wire for right now. I will be taking them at least two large bins and some hay and bedding tomorrow, verifying sex (they say they have separated, this is one of the better AC's in the Atlanta area) and checking general condition.

If anyone in the metro Atlanta area can help, please let me know. Thanks.

wheeky8

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:11 pm

Oh, boy. Well, at least they called you for help in care. Say hello to Tidwell for me, if you see her. ;)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:15 pm

:-)

I sure will. Thanks, Wheeky.

piggie parent

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:25 pm

Ok, Talishan wht do we need to do. Lets get these pigs outta there. I have another person that is willing to foster pigs for me so I can help. Let me know.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:16 pm

PP, thank you so very much for your kind offer.

I'm taking them three big plastic bins (ugh) tomorrow, hay, bedding, some water bottles and holders, a couple of food dishes and some Proform pellets. I will post as soon as I can about their sex and condition. I don't have a camera but plan to get the best description I can for each of them, then ask Evangeline to please tell us what they really are.

I'm also going to take some Advantage. I don't have any ivermectin, Revolution or Program. There is, however, a cavy-knowledgeable vet quite close to them that I should be able to get them to call if I see anything I can't handle or don't know what it is.

Let's get that far and go from there. I have a Honda Civic and I don't think I can get all 9 to Augusta in one trip ... but let's see.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:26 am

I can help out with the piggies.. I sent you an email with my particulars. I am off on friday so I could tote some or all on Friday - or even saturday.. although.. Friday would be much better for me.. lemme know!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:59 pm

Brandilynn, I emailed you back. Thank you very much for your kind offer.

AC called this morning to tell me they had all been taken to Noah's Ark.

http://www.noahs-ark.org/ is an organization that runs therapy programs for troubled children and abused animals together, hopefully healing both and helping them to recover and learn to trust. They have a good bit of land south of Atlanta. I've never visited their facility, but worked with some of their volunteers once and was impressed with them. Not an ideal situation but better than dead, neglected, abused or snake food, I guess, if they are properly cared for there. Noah's Ark has taken guinea pigs from Clayton before, and possibly other small animals. They have a good working relationship with them.

I do know that the division commander for special services at Clayton PD, which includes Animal Control and a few other specialized units, likes guinea pigs and has adopted some from AC himself. He knows how vulnerable they are and how susceptible to URI's, especially in a shelter environment, they are. They do not euthanize (to the best of my knowledge), but they do try to move them out as quickly as possible.

Piggie Parent, thank you so much for your offer of help and your time. I'll email you. Be patient. We'll need you and your foster before too long, I'm (unfortunately) sure. Thanks again to everyone for your help and support.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:07 pm

Noah's Ark is a really really great place!! They take good care of folks - the kritters and the people. They not only take care of the abused kiddos - they take in orphans and they have a home/school for young ladies who are pregnant and dont have anywhere else to be and give them tools on how to function in society, whatever their choice about keeping or not keeping the baby.

They also are privately funded.. so.. I am sure they would appreciate any donations anybody wanted to make.

Everything I have ever seen there has been well taken care of - I take my sunday school class there a lot! It really is a neat place with great folks!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:40 pm

**THANK YOU!!** You do not KNOW how much better that makes me feel!!

piggie parent

Post   » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:47 pm

I am so glad that they have found new homes. I am always here for you Talishan so don't worry. But I'm in no rush to get more but I won't pass up a pig in need if I have space and means to care for it.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:54 pm

Thank you. Believe me, thank you.