First Angel...now it's Elsie..crying when peeing.!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:39 pm

Update: took Angel back to Dr. S. today because this abscess suddenly began growing. He stuck in a needle in and out came the pus. He's culturing it and will let me know Wednesday if we are going to try another antibiotic.

If it shows no sensitivity to antibiotics he suggested it may be caused by suture material left that her body is reacting to. If that's the case, she'll need to go under again and have it drained.

Geez! He said if it bursts on it's own that would be a good thing and that she's not in danger if that happens.

I can't wait till she's really all better.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:55 pm

How frustrating! I am remembering all the trouble Cherrywoodgirl had with her pig and that huge abscess. At least a culture will give you some information.

jul312

Post   » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:59 pm

That poor thing! I don't know if this helps, but when I had my male neutered, he developed an abscess in 2 different locations that needed to be drained 5 different times, and he was on an antibiotic, baytril, I think it was. It was a while ago and I don't remember for sure, bue seems to me they started him on one antibiotic right after the surgery, and he had finished it when he developed the abscess. It was then that I think he went on baytril.

All I know is that I had to put warm compresses on it several times a day, and was to "lightly express" the area that was draining. It seemed to take forever to clear up, and to this day he still has a slight lump from the scar tissue.

Becky

Post   » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:58 pm

He said if it bursts on it's own that would be a good thing and that she's not in danger if that happens.

Huh? That's not true, is it?

Man, oh, man, I hope this gets resolved soon. Poor girls.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:12 pm

About the bursting..he said the abscess is sealed off from her body cavity. It's between the skin and the abdominal wall so it wouldn't drain into her but away from her.

Yes, Jul, it sounds exactly like what you went through. What a long, ugly road she is now having to go down. She's been on Bactrim three weeks now and was on Chloramphenicol for two weeks. I'm glad I went to Dr. S. and glad he's doing a culture now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:15 pm

Did you ask him if this was the sort of abscess that would or could be flushed? I imagine it would depend on how well the muscles beneath had healed/sealed (granulated? knitted?).

jul312

Post   » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:30 pm

I had to flush my male, Guinness, with peroxide after the warm compress and the gentle expressing of the area. It actually seemed that there was a "channel" that the puss came out of.

Did they say anything to you about warm compresses and a peroxide flush?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:09 pm

Peroxide actually hinders healing. Dilute chlorhexidine gluconate or dilute povidone iodine work better. www.guinealynx.info/supplies.html

jul312

Post   » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:22 pm

Lynx, I think that was pretty much why I was told to use the peroxide. The wound kept closing up, preventing it from draining, and the peroxide helped as an anticeptic, and the wound was able to drain, healing from the inside out. At least, that was the way he explained it to me.

It really seemed to work, but it took quite a long time. Abscesses are just plain NASTY!!

My heart aches for your baby, GP. When my Guinness would cry while I was trying to "help" him, I cried too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:25 pm

Do you know how long it took? Many weeks? It may have been counter productive. A shunt can prevent it from closing up, as can flushing a couple times a day.

Around here, most people do not use nor recommend peroxide.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:54 am

"Did you ask him if this was the sort of abscess that would or could be flushed? "

He told me that I would have to put compresses on it and flush it, yes.

I think from the needle going in it must have left a hole that some pus has leaked out. I put Betadine into it last night before bed and now this thing has shrunk dramatically. I'm betting more pus will accumulate and it will reform however so I'll have to wait and see what happens with the culture.

jul312

Post   » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:32 am

Oh Boy, Lynx, yes it did take about 3 weeks to heal, but I don't think the peroxide was the cause. He had soooo much pus, and the vet was hesitant to put the shunt in because of the location of the abscess. The abscess was in the lower belly area, and the vet felt that Guinness might take the shunt out when he went diving for his goodies. He determined that it would be better to just apply warm compresses, the light expressing, and the peroxide wash.

Poor Guinness had to be lanced several times because the pus just kept coming back, and the wound needed to heal from the inside out, but there was just so much pus that even the compresses couldn't keep it open enough.

Don't give up GP, if your baby is anything like mine was, it did seem to take forever, but just plain persistance and time, and it will heal.