"Questran/Food Mix & Carafate"

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:02 am

Similac baby formula with Iron.

Why were they/he/she being fed this? For how long?

See my post above for more questions.

Wheeks R Us

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:04 am

So the woman wasn´t homeless?

I dont have the original emails, she started emailing me in the beginning of December, I got them in mid December. She wasnt homeless, per se, she was living with a boyfriend, I met him when I fetched the pigs, she had emailed me from the library or so she said because she didnt have a phone at the boyfriends. He didnt have a phone because I asked to use it while I was there.

I told Rachel it was Lactose Free formula, maybe I was wrong to give it, but the vet said they were too young to treat and my other option was euthanasia. I didnt really have a choice in the matter, let them starve or feed them formula, the vet wouldnt help me with any suggestions. And, yes, I regretfully say, I aspirated a piggy, I thought she was swallowing and she wasnt. It was my fault. I made a mistake, and I am sick to death of this interrogation. I know I screwed up, but all these accusations are wrong and sickening. I wouldnt breed a pig to save my life or for any thing in this world and it truly sickens me to see where she is going with this. If I were trying to hide anything I wouldnt be telling such a reputable rescuer such as Rachel that Squeak got in Emme´s cage, and I am hurt that she would talk behind my back about it instead of to me, I wouldnt have taken them to her if I was hiding something. And, for the record, I did say I needed to stop buying pigs from Meijer, I am defeating the purpose if I support them. I know that now, and it was a hard lesson to learn. And, Emme was my last purchased pig, and that was 5 months ago. I could go on and on, but it clear what is going on here.

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:09 am

Hey, I´m just trying to figure out why the pigs died and why they´re bloated and showing signs of dehydration.

Find the answer and future pigs will be helped.

Still don´t understand why they were getting Similac at all. How old were they that the vet said they were too young to treat and what was wrong with them?

Critical Care is the ideal food source for sick pigs but it won´t take the place of meds. Newborn pigs can get kitten milk replacement(right term?).
Last edited by pinta on Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wheeks R Us

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:12 am

And...Cocoa and Cocoa came from the same set of rescued pigs, if they are pregnant, they came to me that way. I have one boar and he has been in my room since I got him and the others have never been in here. Think whatever you want, it is clear you will, but as God as my witness, I have never bred a pig in my life.

Wheeks R Us

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:23 am

Hi Pinta,

I know you are trying to help. They were just a few days old when I called the vet the first time. She suggested euthanasia and said they were too young for any treatment. I gave them the similac because they werent nursing. I was doing everything to try and keep them alive, and then I aspirated her, she was the weakest. I feel terrible about that, words cant even describe it. I took them to that same vet on Thurs and she acted as if she didnt remember that night I phoned her, maybe she didnt, but she said then that they were still too young for the atb´s, but she wanted them to try it anyway. I cant even put into words how ill they Moms were when they came to me, that is the only reasonable explanation as to why they were born in such bad shape. Lastly, I quit giving the formula after a few days, as they started eating again, but I was still force feeding liquid C via syringe.

Wheeks R Us

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:29 am

The vet did give me the CC when I took them. I bought it, she didnt give me anything LOL. I took some to Rachel for them, I know it is good for them, but she wouldnt give it to me when I had called the first time. It was an all around bad situation, I know that, but I truly did what I thought was right.

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:30 am

What was wrong with them that they needed vet care?

How long since they last had Similac? Their belly fur was stained yellow from it. How long does that stuff stay in the fur for?

Ladyveg mentioned that maybe the iron caused the small misshapened turds. This and the yellow bellies gave me the impression they had been fed Similac recently.

I have no idea how long that stuff would stay in the system.....

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:33 am

The vet did give me the CC when I took them. I bought it, she didnt give me anything LOL.

Did the vet give you CC or did she not. I can´t understand this sentence. She didn´t give you anything of what?

Wheeks R Us

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:34 am

It was in December. I wiped them off daily with baby wipes, and or sopa and water, I didnt want to give them a full bath because they were so young and I thought it would be stressful on them, it could also be the vitamin C, I assure you, it is NOT urine, I mean all you have to do is smell it and know if it was or not. And, the formula did have iron in it, so that could have stained it too. They needed vet care because they werent eating properly, IMO.

Wheeks R Us

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:35 am

Did the vet give you CC or did she not. I can´t understand this sentence. She didn´t give you anything of what?

Yes, she did. I meant she didnt give it to me for free. It sounded like I was saying she gave it to me for nothing. Sorry for the confusion.

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:42 am

Any reason why you didn´t use the Critical Care? Still don´t know why you gave them Similac.

Lactose free Similac
rpdind01.ross.com/pn/Pedi...enDocument

Below isn´t the Lactose free version but I suspect the nutrients are similar.

Similac with Iron. Nutritional info:

Nutrients per 100 Cal Ready To Feed
Energy, Cal
Volume, mL
Protein, g
% of total Calories
8%
Source: Nonfat Milk & Whey Protein Concentrate
Fat, g
% of total Calories
49%
Source: High-Oleic Safflower, Coconut & Soy Oils
Ratio: 40:30:30
Linoleic Acid, mg
Carbohydrate, g
% of total Calories
43%
Source: Lactose
Ratio: 100
Vitamins
Vitamin A, IU
Vitamin D, IU
Vitamin E, IU
Vitamin K, mcg
Thiamine (Vitamin B1), mcg
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), mcg
Vitamin B6, mcg
Vitamin B12, mcg
Niacin, mcg
Folic Acid (Folacin), mcg
Pantothenic Acid, mcg
Biotin, mcg
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), mg
Choline, mg
Inositol, mg
Minerals
Calcium, mg (mEq)
78 (3.9)
Phosphorus, mg
Magnesium, mg
Iron, mg
Zinc, mg
Manganese, mcg
Copper, mcg
Iodine, mcg
Selenium, mcg
Sodium, mg (mEq)
24 (1.0)
Potassium, mg (mEq)
105 (2.7)
Chloride, mg (mEq)
65 (1.8)
Other Characteristics
Potential Renal Solute Load, mosm
Water, g
Osmolality, mosm/kg water
Osmolarity, mosm/liter

NOTE: Values listed are subject to change. Refer to product label or packaging for most
current information.
PRSL = [Protein(g) x 5.714] + Na(mosm) + K(mosm) + Cl(mosm) + P(mosm)
The addition of iron to this formula conforms to the recommendation of the Committee on
Nutrition of the American Academy of Pediatrics. Added free nucleotides = 10.65 mg/100
Cal (72 mg/L). Values are for Ready To Feed.

Josephine, could any of this stuff stay in the system long enough to cause problems?

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:44 am

Were you weighing the babies daily? Sometimes they´ll lose a bit of weight in the first week before starting to gain.