Conroe, TX Guinea Pigs Need a Home

Snowflakelike

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:23 pm

So, sillycavies, what is the availability of the pups? And gender - especially if there is a silky one?

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:31 am

When I was looking for a new pig the only things that were important were
1.) Female
2.) basically healthy
This board has shed a new light on things for me. I am having a hard time because you have so many specifics... a tiny pig no red eyes and a silkie.

Thanks to my local SPCA VMOUSE and someone who did not want to be bothered I have a wonderful heard of mismatched pigs!

Snowflakelike

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:40 am

A hard time understanding why I have requirements or a hard time finding a pig to fit them? I don't expect anyone to go to any trouble on my behalf. I really, really appreciate just being alerted to the possibilities, as you have done.

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:47 am

Both. I do hope you find what you are looking for, you might just pass up a great pig in the meantime.

sillycavies

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:12 pm

Sylvester, I agree with you. As someone who deals with rescued animals, I find the emphasis on babies a bit distressing. I can agree that an age difference can sometimes help with dominance issues; however, the objective is to place an animal into a home that will love it throughout its life. The ideal home for an animal is one that will love it at least as much at 5 or 10 years as they did at 1 week.

As for the pups, I saw Tidbit (looks like a tiny skunk) use the water bottle today. Yay! My daughter really likes them, and it will be at least a week before we can decide what we'll do with them. Morsel is beige, black and white. Their hair seems a bit longer than that of an American, so I'm wondering if some Silky might be in there. I'll see about getting some photos so someone who knows breeds better than I do can verify that. They are cuties!

Vanessa

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:15 pm

I totally agree with not focusing on appearance when adopting pigs. When I adopted my last pig, he was the only single male at the shelter, so he was pretty much my only choice. He just happends to be a very handsome and well-manered pig too. When the girl at the shelter showed him to me, she said "Is he what you were looking for? If not, you can check back, we get guinea pigs pretty frequently". I just responded "Well, he's a guinea pig, and that was pretty much all I was looking for. I'll take him."

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:46 pm

I think everyone has a type/color of pig that just makes them go 'Awwww!' They may ask for it (I know I do, the times I've been looking) but if there isn't one available, that doesn't mean I'll love the pig I get any less. Or that I won't look at another pig! It just means that I have a soft spot for that type, is all.

ChadWPB

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:50 pm

I agree. When we were looking for a first wife for Fuzzie, we needed a spayed sow since we did not want Fuzzie neutered. We found a spayed sow named Callie at Gainesville GP Rescue. though neither one of us ever had a shorthaired pig before (my wife even found them unattractive), we decided to go for Callie anyway, since she fit our needs as she recently spayed for ovarian cysts.

Callie is an absolutely wonderful pig: friendly, sweet and not skittish at all. Plus she's healthy and robust.

We didn't base our search on looks and got a beautiful pig anyway. Callie's my TV watching buddy.

Ciaytee
Almost Inbred

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:00 pm

SFL isn't buying from a pet store or breeder. She's not breeding her own pigs. She's not getting rid of any animals to make way for a baby. And she's never intimated that she wouldn't care a baby throughout its life. These are the important things.

No, she's not following the course I or y'all would take, but it's hardly reason for villification.

A thrown away pig will find a good home with her. That's all we should care about. The rest is just nitpicking.

ChadWPB

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:05 pm

I know Ciaytee, that's why my post focused on the positive and even included a picture. I'm proud of my little ones.

Ciaytee
Almost Inbred

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:12 pm

No one was nasty. I didn't mean to imply that, but I see I did. Oops.

But things here have a tendency to snowball. We start out with a mild disagreement, then things turn theoretical, then the theoretical gets distorted into "fact" and everyone's pissed. I just don't want that to happen here.

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:46 pm

Forgive me if I sounded nasty, I did not intend to sound nasty. I love some of the beautiful pigs you all have. I guess I just think all pigs are adorable in their own way and need to understand not everyone is just like me. I am sorry if I offened you Snowflakelike.