Handsom bachelor looking for a friend

savycavy_

Post   » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:35 pm

Thanks Erin. I was thinking more of medical issues athough she has been vet checked and appears healthy. I am kinda compelled to take her regardless of her age because she has a sad story.

In 2002 she was abandoned at the Winnipeg Humane Society. She was left in a box with no information about her or her age. She seemed young though. She was later adopted from the humane society. In April of 2004 Hammy's owner died and Hammy went to live with her owners sister. In May 2004 Hammy's owners sister's landlord found out about Hammy and said she had to go. So she arrived back at the Winnipeg Humane Society.

Poor girl has been bounced around quite a bit.

Obviously, I'd have to change her name (who names a guinea pig "Hammy"? That's like naming a dog "Kitty".)

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:41 pm

Any pig of any age can have medical problems. Charlene was less than a year old when she developed her many many lumps, she died shortly after her 1st birthday. Carmelita turns 3 in August, aside from a checkup at the vet to make sure she was ok after a dog grabbed her, she hasn't had any medical problems that couldn't be solved at home(mites).

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:42 pm

Tough life for such a pretty pig.

Vanessa

Post   » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:48 am

I've got the name "Hammy" beat. When I adopted my latest pig Romeo, his original name was GumGum. Yeah, that's right, GumGum. When the adoption girl gave him to me, she said "Please rename him."

Anyways, I'm also a sucker for hard-luck cases. Hammy is a beautiful pig, and I'm sure you'd give her a great home. But if you think about it, all animals waiting for adoption at shelters and animal controls are kind of hard luck cases, so when do you choose? Sorry for being devil's advocate.

Then again, older animals are harder to adopt out, so maybe it would be best for you to take Hammy. There was a 14 year old dog at the Toronto Humane Society for quite some time, but now she's off the site, I don't know if she was adopted or not.

Its no easy choice. Maybe you should just take the trip to Winnipeg and let your heart decide when you see the pigs. Logic fails in these situations.

icesprite

Post   » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:11 am

Hey, I call my dog "Kitty". Her name is Katie but one of her nicknames is Kitty. Another is Minny Mouse... hmm...

Hammy is beautiful. Then again, so is Piglet. So are the baby pigs (though that picture of baby pig 1 looks like a mouse).

I would say give Hammy a try. I am sure Elvis will love having a wife!

savycavy_

Post   » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:51 pm

Oh no. I was going to go in on Friday since I finally don't work and adopt hammy. I called tonight and they said that she wasn't there anymore. Booooo. The don't seem to know much at the reception of what happened. I'm so dissipointed. I hope she was adopted. I don't know if it was a kill shelter.

Back to the waiting game.

ChadWPB

Post   » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:57 pm

Adoption can be tough business, but it's so satisfying to take the adopted piggie home.

Good luck on your search.