Marilyn - Blood in Urine

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:25 pm

I got bactrim for the one UTI in the "family," and it worked very well. The pigs seem to love the taste, and for mine it didn't interfere much with the appetite. UTI pig actually ran wheeking to the grids for her twice-daily dose. I just gave it to her there. She's a nut.

ChadWPB

Post   » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:44 pm

I'll bet that after seeing the results of the culture, we'll be switched to Bactrim, since he'll know for sure what's ailing her a that time. I'll also ask about it, and I'm going to print the AB page and take it with us on our trip.

We have tons of Baytril now and both pigs will keep getting it as long as we have any.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:53 pm

All I can say is that if the sensitivity test is okay for bactrim, I would use it, having had much better luck with bactrim than baytril for UTI's. If the sensitivity test showed either baytril or bactrim would work, I'd still try to convince the vet to give me bactrim.

If you end up with baytril and notice any problems or recurrence after stopping the meds, do lobby for bactrim.

Good luck.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:04 am

Travelling isnt' too bad, at least in my experience. I've taken pigs to MN for two years in a row now, which is a 12-14 hour drive. The first year I took 4 pigs, this year I took 12 - all did very well. I don't think you'll have any problems as long as your smart about it - no leaving them in the sun, no leaving them alone in the car, have air conditioning, etc.

Good luck, I can be excited to meet two of Florida's famous pigs - just a shame they are coming due to illness.

ChadWPB

Post   » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:14 pm

Erin, you couldn't tell they were ill until you're watching me trying to dose their AB's. They're both chippy and and constantly munching on hay. I'd be happy to bring them over to your place. (Don't worry, they're recently treated with Ivermectin - no mites!)

I have Benebac for the car trips, since mining for fresh poop will be difficult on the road (driving straight through!). The trip is 18-19 hours and is 1,200 miles.

I've also pre-cut the coroplast needed to build two 2x5's, one for my MIL's new piggie and another for the happy couple. When we get to PGH, we'll score and fold the sides and tape the halves together (wife's really good with the tape) and voila, comfy piggie digs! My wife and her mom will do that, after 19 hours behind the wheel, I'm going to pass out.

To be honest, I miss my pigs bitterly on road trips. Bringing a pair with me will cut that down considerably.

ChadWPB

Post   » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:28 pm

On a related note, since Princess will be left alone in her cage with Snuggles and Marilyn going up north with us, she will be borrowing a buddy from the other cage. Looks like Amee will be the one, since Fuzzie's intact and Callie's also dominant and will fight. I have Princess and Amee playing on the floor. After a bit of teeth chattering they largely ignore each other.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:34 pm

Three's company, right :-)

ChadWPB

Post   » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:42 pm

I will have a third coming up for my MIL. ;+)

Since we're bringing up a week's worth of stuff and a lot of supplies (giving away large monitor, piggie supples for MIL, etc.), room is an issue. I drive a 2000 Grand Am.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:06 pm

Drive carefully and have a safe trip.

I hope your MIL has an internet connection.

ChadWPB

Post   » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:39 pm

Unfortunately, she doesn't. But she's getting a Cavy Health Record Book delivered to her with the KM's hay on Friday.

My FIL has WebTV, I may be able to log on to here on a very limited basis (they're divorced - staying with MIL).

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:42 pm

Is Marilyn spayed?

ChadWPB

Post   » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:43 pm

No, but Snuggles is neutered, and also her cagemate.

I do have two spayed sows, Callie and Amee.