Wet rears

Cara

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 10:54 am

I think it was Pinta who once told me that wet rears is a sign up bladder infections. Both Lilly and Grace, my bladder infection prone ladies, have wet rears. I left them pee on the floor last night to check for blood, didn´t see anything strange in their urine. Still wet this am, cleaned cages last night. I have had to put a layer of hay down over the pine bedding as the bedding is temporarily being shipped from a different mill and isn´t kiln dried and is very fine. I don´t want them sitting on the bedding. No one other pig has a wet rear though. Any thoughts? I tend to over react and don´t want to needlessly take them to the vet but then I don´t want to let something go untreated either. sigh

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 10:58 am

Do they have long hair that traps the pee? Does it smell bad?

Cara

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:01 am

Yes, they do have longer hair around their hind parts. It does smell but only like urine and not a stale, sour smell. I washed their rears off last night and it´s the same thing this am. Wondering if the hay is the problem.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:50 am

I suggest trimming the hair around their ends. That helped alot with Snowflake, who also seemed wet back there. If it gets caught in the hair as they pee out, it will stay wet for a while.

Cara

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:24 pm

I never cease to amaze myself. I inevitably fail to think of the most simple things! Thanks, Lynx.

Dawn

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:42 pm

Do you feed them Romaine lettuce. Romaine can cause wet bottom. I only have one pig that gets this when she eats romaine. Her bottom would be wet all the time and she doesn´t have long hair. Just an additional thought. Trimming does help too.

lisam

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:55 pm

I have a few who always seem to have wet bottoms. They are my silkies and silky mix. I do keep it trimmed pretty short, but the texture of their fur is different than the short hairs, and it seems to really soak up the pee. Of course, they are the ones who like to sit in a favorite spot and never move, even to urinate.

Jill

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:57 pm

Dawn, what is it about the romaine?

Dawn

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 1:15 pm

I don´t know but I just remember somebody saying it caused wet bottom. I could go do a search at CG but I don´t want to go over there.

Cara

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 1:19 pm

They get romaine but it´s been so yucky looking at Walmart lately that they haven´t had any for over a week. They have had green leaf lettuce though. They are silkies. I have another silkie who has a plastic shelf in his cage that he often lays on and he doesn´t pee under the shelf, only in the corner by the water bottle. He never sits there. My peruvain sits in his tube most of the time when he´s still. He´s usually running from one end of the cage to the other.

pinta

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:27 pm

Wet rears due to incontinence indicate a possible UTI.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:33 pm

Romaine does not cause wet bottoms.

I feed it on a daily basis to my pigs -- some days they get quite a bit from the produce store (they´ve discarded the loose leaves). It makes no sense to say romaine would cause wet bottoms. The only indirect cause is that it provides an added source of liquids. Drinking water and getting water in foods is to be encouraged.

I would not pin wet bottoms on eating romaine. I´ve heard other claims concerning other foods there are not born out by my experience and sound like old wives tales.