I have a few questions

Orvis
Power to the Pigs

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:19 pm

I love that sound! Orvis does that when I stroke his back/sides or when he knows he is going to get some veggies. Don't worry, if they are unhappy about something they will let you know it!

kirbygirl

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:25 pm

Well, I would like to make her a bigger cage, but we really don't have room for a bigger one. I might be able to make a bigger one though, I'll see what I can do.

Kleenmamas hayloft is like two miles from my house! I'll have to go there and get some hay.

It's good to know that that is a normal happy sound!

jennylynn
GL Junkie

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:28 pm

Kleenmamas hayloft is like two miles from my house!

Lucky dog! She sells GREAT hay, I would love it I were that close to her.
She's also really nice, and should be able to help you out with any hay questions that you have. She may also know of some good places to pick up some C&C cage supplies. A 2x3 cage is a good size for people who are tight on space.
Last edited by jennylynn on Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anglaz

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:29 pm

Wow, did you get lucky or what, living 2 miles from Kleenmama! People will be jealous. Many from all over the country spend a "fortune" on shipping -- just to have KM's hay!

Good luck with your new little friend. Make sure you read all the great articles here at GuineaLynx, too.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:30 pm

Pigs are MUCH happier with a friend, or even a really annoying and obnoxious roommate who is always getting on their nerves. Also, your girl is the equivalent of a toddler and would really appreciate having a "nanny", or another little girl to snuggle up with.

The great thing about C&C cages is that you can make them with storage underneath. Or you could put them on a big table and keep all their hay and bedding underneath.

Orvis
Power to the Pigs

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:30 pm

Hey Kirby,

As Orvis has grown, we have had a space issue - he is twice as big as when we first got him. Instead of trashing his cage, I got him a baby pool - the plastic kind they have at Walmart or KMart for about $7 - and he goes in there when I am home, or I can take him outside in it also. He only sleeps in his cage at night. Maybe that would be a cheaper alternative and you can put it up on it's side when not using it.

Here's a picture:

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v29 ... s_Pool.jpg

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:49 pm

Get some proform pellets while you are at KM's too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:45 pm

Read www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html#diet too. A friend is a great idea.

lisam

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:09 am

Although it's true that piggies are herd animals, if this is your first one, you may want to just try the one for a bit and see how it goes before jumping in with another! I still have one, been about 3 months, and just thinking now after getting used to all the work for Orvis about a second one.

I think that caring for two is not much harder than caring for one, if at all. And it is better for the pig to have a companion. Since you live so close to Kleenmama, Kirbygirl, she can assist you in finding a buddy. I live in WA state, too, in Auburn.

kirbygirl

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:56 am

The swimming pool sounds like a really good idea, unfortunately we have a dog that won't quit smelling the cage. We aren't sure if he'd be nice to the guinea pig or not, so I want to keep it in an enclosed space. I think the C&C cages would be better at keeping the dog out.

Orvis- Is that tube you have in the pool the aluminum heat duct stuff? Cause that's a really good idea. It also looks like you have bricks in there.

I'll look in to finding her a "nanny". I'll have to ask kleenmama if she could help when we go there. It's probably easier to adopt a piggie, because then are more likely used to people holding them, and maybe less shy, right?

Thanks for the link. You guys are a lot of help!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:46 am

It's also better to adopt and save a life than support pet stores that sell animals and puppy/pig/animal mills.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:49 am

oh, by the way. You might want to double check the sex of your piggie esp. if you get a friend. Pet stores frequently mis sex them.