Wet rears

pinta

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:47 pm

I seem to remember being told by one of our vets years ago that romaine has diuretic qualities as do dandelion leaves. Could be some pigs are hypersensitive to the diuretic qualities and do pee more when eating these items. None of ours have ever had this problem.

But chronic incontinence indicating a UTI would be ALL the time, not just after a romaine feast. Pee keeps dribbling out causing chronic wetness. I think on a diuretic, pigs just pee more - they aren´t incontinent.

Healthy pigs can usually pee with enough thrust away from themselves that they don´t sit in it, especially sows who pee outward. Incontinence caused by a UTI are weak dribbles that soak into the hair.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 4:20 pm

Dawn-
Huh? Isn´t wet bottom a hamster disease?
Last edited by Evangeline on Wed Feb 13, 2002 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmtigger

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 8:05 pm

e- that´s "Wet-tail" I think that she just means that her pigs have wet rear ends...

Right now I am dealing with yeast infections in two of my sows. They´ve been through a treatment of yeast infection ointment, and now I´m trying applying yogurt. It smells a bit, not too strong- but leaves a real mess around their genitals.

Cara

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:06 pm

cmtigger, how were the yeast infections diagnosed? Are they common in sows?

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 10:36 pm

cmtigger-
Yeah, I know that, but I think Dawn doesn´t.

cmtigger

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:12 am

I´ve never had sows with yeast infections before- but the breeders who helped me figure out what this was have. Basically it was diagnosed by breeders who have seen it in a sow here or there. Not common, but it does happen. I was told to treat them by applying a bit of the ointment made for women, it cleared up, but then came back. After using that treatment again when it came back, the infections didn´t get worse, but didn´t get better. Just last night I switched to treating them with yogurt applied to the area instead. We´ll see how that works. The cavy knowledgable vet here had a heart attack and isn´t working for a while, so if this doesn´t clear it up, I´ll have to figure out someplace to take them.

pinta

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2002 1:05 am

What are the symptoms? It doesn´t sound like the breeders´ suggestions are working.

Are you sure it isn´t a UTI?

Have you had the urine spun down, or cultured for bacteria?