I have a few questions

Orvis
Power to the Pigs

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:22 am

Sorry Lisam I stick to my viewpoint! I think a new pet owner in general should go slow and make sure it's a good fit. It's well known that most people on here feel like if you don't have at least 2 you are not a good pig owner but sorry I just don't agree. There is never just one right way to do things in life!

Also, I worked in a shelter for some time and just because pets may be brought in together doesn't mean they will stay together. In fact for some pets being separated from their companion visibly adds to their trauma of being in a shelter. But let's not go there! This piggie will not be in a shelter I am sure.

Orvis
Power to the Pigs

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:29 am

PS My husband is home all day, so in concession to what you say, if we were both gone all day I would probably get another one...I would love to have a lady friend for Orvis and maybe have a litter (?) then get him snipped - ouch! - but this is all dreams, we can't afford any more pets right now.

Bonnie

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:32 am

Please tell me you're joking Orvis.

JodiMN

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:35 am

Ummm...I'm speechless. Of all the information here on the risks and homeless pigs...you're considering purposely breeding?

Orvis
Power to the Pigs

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:40 am

Just for my own piggies, to keep them - calm down people.

Orvis
Power to the Pigs

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:42 am

I am really going out on a limb here but I don't see why if you have you own pggies and you are prepared to keep them and care for them, it's such a big deal to raise them yourself. I'll probably get hung in effigy now...but hey that's how I feel!

Bonnie

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:43 am

Bonnie

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:46 am

LER

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:47 am

Hi Orivs,
What about the known risks of pregnancy and delivery? What if your beloved sow died in the birth?

Plus, if you have room, time, and funds for 5 more pigs, why not adopt ones who are facing death in shelters rather than creating more?

And if you want to see babies grow up there are pleanty of pregnant sows facing death in shelters too.

There is always more to consider than the simply view, you see.

Orvis
Power to the Pigs

I guess I just feel differently. I hope that we can all still get along...

I am kind of curious though why so many people on here have pigs having babies all the time - pics almost weekly - surprised they don't get 'the business' about it.

Bonnie

And then go look at Cavy Placement and justify your reason for wanting to breed.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewforum.php?f=12