I have a few questions

ChadWPB

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:24 am

One of the things that I really like about my pigs is their ecclectic mix.

I agree. Fuzzie's cage has an Abby mix, a Peruvian and an American. Fuzzie's spayed girlfriends are from a rescue.

Not only do you not put a sow in danger by adopting, pigs from rescues are in top health at least from my experience. Both of my rescue sows went through spays brilliantly, without complication. Rescue pigs also seem more appreciative of a good home.

Kirbygirl, after we started bonding pigs together, we noticed new behaviors, they put on weight, and generally seem much happier living together. We have trios, but a pair is still far superior than a pig living alone. Paired pigs play and keep each other company.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:36 am

Why not to breed guinea pigs, part 89327592834:

This pig carries the roan gene:
But you can't tell because she has zero roaning whatsoever. I got her from the pet store and she was pregnant, no doubt by her brother or father. I had no idea she had the roan gene until she popped out Einstein:
Blind, deaf, no incisors, molars that require monthly dental work. His condition is caused by having two copies of the roan gene. It's preventable if you know the genetics of the parents. You can't tell that his mother has one copy. How do you know, if you start breeding, that you won't end up with little Einsteins? And what are you going to do if you do? Knock them on the head? Build a gas chamber for them? Commit yourself to monthly tooth trims and special feeding as long as they live?

Vanessa

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:40 am

Poor little Einstein, he's a victim of circumstance created by ignorant pet store people. He didn't do anything to anyone to deserve what he was born with. I hope he's doing okay.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:46 am

Here's another reason not to breed:
He's handsome, isn't he? You can even tell he carries the roan gene. He was smart, adventurous, devoted to his herd, which included his human, me. He died shortly after his third birthday, of lymphoma and leukemia. Half his life was taken away because of what was probably a genetic predisposition to cancer. He could have had a hundred babies before he had his first tumor, if I'd been breeding him. And would they all have died of cancer? Probably not. If I'd been breeding him to Suzi, some might have died from birth defects (see above). But you can't tell from looking at him that he'd develop severe, horrible lymphoma and have to be put to sleep a couple of months later.

You know what scares me? Suzi could be related to him. I got her from the same pet store, and she looks just like his sister did. Will Suzi and her children suddenly sprout tumors in a couple of years? Who knows?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:47 am

No pig deserves to be born a lethal white.

Orvis
Power to the Pigs

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:48 am

Poor Einstein. I will not breed guineas but *maybe* I could foster or adopt a pregnant one in the future sometime if there was one in need...that might be a good compromise. Then I would be having more pigs than one, and seeing them grow up from babies also. Best of both worlds you might say.

I know no one is going to be happy until I get another one...give me time... ;-)

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:57 am

Yes, and you might have to bury 5 babies in one day like jeannette hand, but as long as you're willing to take that risk, you know, rescued pregnant pigs need homes too.

PauloF

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:00 pm

Pregnancies will happen all the time, too many fools around and lots of accidents as well.

If you would like to take care of babies and still help piggies, fostering a pregnant piggy from a rescue the best you can do. And then you could adopt a same sex company to Orvis...

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:06 pm

Or you could chop off Orvis's balls and adopt him some pregnant girls so he could be a (step)daddy. Doom was a very good stepfather, although he and Jackie kind of hated each other.

Vanessa

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:59 pm

Way to keep it real, salana. Now I feel like going to the vet and saying "Yes, I've been thinking about chopping off my boar's balls. Can you give me some info on the ball chopping operation? Details please."

Orvis
Power to the Pigs

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:10 pm

hehehe

All joking aside, when they get THE OPERATION, does that decrease/eliminate the 'nasty ball sac area' that we have to keep swabbed?

Ugh I would take him tomorrow and go without groceries for 2 weeks to get out of that job.

LER

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:13 pm

I personally think it makes them less stinky, and I know it reduces the size of their poops. And I've had Lightning (m/n) over a year and never had to do any swabbing . . .