Are we pregnant?

pigpal

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:32 am

Waste of time.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:44 am

It makes me want to scream............. Same old....... Same old. It seems to never end.

Way too many homeless, sweet ,adorable pigs. Many are being euthanized. The situation is CRITICAL. Look up what´s been happening this summer. You can be part of the solution instead of contributing to the problem. Want a baby........ many in rescues.

PLEASE ,PLEASE, PLEASE RECONSIDER BREEDING!!!!!!!!!!

SpottyPoo

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:40 am

I am completely up to speed on the Hollister, Monterey and Arizona situations. There´s a lot I can do about that in NC. What you folks must realize is that not everyone is in the position to take on the responsibility of older, possibly sick pigs.

I understand that everyone is passionate about pig rescue here. I am allll for that!!! But what you all must also take into consideration is that it is not your place to judge someone breeding their own pig -- last I read, God was in charge of that. I asked for assistance, not condemnation.

If everyone is so against piggie breeding, why do you have a huge section on piggie pregnancy and breeding on this site???

I will no longer post here or even read this site. I can hear the sighs of relief already. I´ve never experienced more judgmental people in my life and I hope that the next person who needs advice and posts here is greeted with more respect and kindness than you have shown me.

And sjj92 -- thanks for your polite input.

Susan Ramsey
Charlotte, NC

Cara

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:53 am

Don´t suppose you´ll read this but what happens if there´s serious pregnancy complications and your pig does become sick? Is there a difference in a young sick pig or an older sick pig? What happens when your pigs become old? Will you not care for them because they´re old and could possibly get sick? Not all of those rescues are sick and old pigs. I think the people here who have seen the horrors of backyard breeding have every right to judge someone who wants to do the same.

Laura823

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:28 pm

I don´t know if SpottyPoo will ever see these replies as she has said she will not be reading the board again, but in case she does:

There´s a rescue in Charlotte if you´re interested in helping homeless pigs in your area. http://www.cavyrescue.com/rescues.htm

The majority of pigs from Hollister and Monterey were young and healthy. Most rescues have a large number of young, healthy pigs although of course, because an animal is healthy when you adopt it does not mean it will stay that way forever.

And, like Cara, I wonder what you are going to do when your pigs get old and/or sick (since you say you´re not in the position to take care of such a pig). What will you do if there are complications with the pregnancy? By breeding your pig, you are putting yourself in a situation where you are far more likely to run into medical problems than if you adopted a pig(s) from a rescue.

lisam

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:48 pm

I´m not sure what this person came here to find. She asked for advice, we gave it to her. I guess she didn´t like the answers.

She also stated we have a huge section on breeding and pregnancy. We do?

imanut4u

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:05 pm

Yes Lisa, we have a breeding and pregnancy section on Guinea Lynx. I personally don´t find it HUGE, but regardless, the information in it is a great resource for those of us dealing with pregnant rescues; ie cleaning up someone else´s mess.

The information here at Guinea Lynx also has many warnings:
"Read Linda´s description of normal labor. Should complications arise, it is extremely important that you have a veterinarian lined up for emergency care before the actual delivery."

"Do you know how risky pregnancy can be for a guinea pig? Learn more at Cavy Spirit. Always remember that a pregnancy puts your pet at risk. "

"Breeding guinea pigs for fun is not recommended: not only is it difficult to find homes for the young with responsible and caring people (your candidates may "disappear" when the time comes to adopt out the babies) but guinea pig sows are at risk of pregnancy complications because the babies are born large and ready to run. "

Bottom line -- why breed or buy while others die? I hope Spotty doesn´t lose her sow.

Becky

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:09 pm

Like PP said, probably a waste of time.

My last two cents, though. I did not judge. I merely stated that I could not understand why someone would breed, putting their animals at risk, when there were so many adorable animals available through rescues. I honestly do not understand.

Where I come from, that´s not judgement. It´s asking a question.

No one refused to help this person.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:36 pm

Spend one day volunteering at a shelter with the homeless pigs and breeding your own becomes unthinkable. I would challenge anyone who is considering breeding to do so. Just even a few hours. Look into the eyes of the homeless animals.

Pigs of every size, shape, color can be found. Most of the old or sick animals are considered unadoptable and are fostered in long term care until they are healthy. Some live out their lives in foster care. Yes, not everyone can handle the health issues. There are still plently of young, healthy animals needing homes.

It´s a universal problem. It certainly is not limited to California. I think we just have been thrust in the position to have to publicize it.

I´m sorry about the screaming comment. I am fostering a number of sick animals right now and have to get up during the night to feed them. Just like a newborn baby. I´m not at my most diplomatic. with teaching, winemaking, fostering and lack of sleep.

You say you can´t make a difference. Not true. Each pig born can potentially expand expodentially quite rapidly due to their short gestational cycles ( 2x2x4x8x16x32= big problem). It is possible that the Hollisterand Monterey pigs started with a small core group.

The change starts with each one.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:37 pm

I just ran a PetFinder search. There are 19 guinea pigs (all ages, colors, breeds) in rescues in or near Charlotte. And not all shelters list their adoptables on PetFinder either.

Red Blur
Chocolate Giver

Post   » Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:45 pm

It is possible that the Hollisterand Monterey pigs started with a small core group.

That´s exactly what happened here...4 pigs led to about 150 within 4 years - all kept in pens in the backyard...

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:54 pm

And they wonder why we are so anti- breeding. It´s always the same story. It´s the 150 that we get the calls about. Add up 150 a few times and it becomes an explosive situation. Sigh................

Looking at my Monterey fosters and how much they look alike ( read identical) it is not only posssible; it is a reality. I heard something about 90 generations.