starting a rescue?

13guineapigs

Post   » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:38 pm

I have spoke to some people who run rescues from their home, and some make it sound really bad, and others make it sound like it is worth it. I talk to one lady who made it sound like having a rescue was living in hell but then when you take 100 guinea pigs into your home I guess that would be hard. I was thinking about starting a small rescue but I would really like to hear from more people who do it, to find out what it is really like?Is it worth it?Would you do it again if you had the chance?thanks you for your info.[/u]

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:47 pm

Some threads from the past:
becoming a rescue
questions to rescuers
starting a rescue
rescue finally taking off
questions for rescues
advice about starting a rescue
what's involved in a rescue

Lots of members here either do rescue, have done rescue, or work with rescues as fosters. You've got a lot of reading to do!

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:57 pm

Its worth it if you are passionate about it. Being a full blown rescue means you are going to pretty much sacrifice your wallet, your time and possibly your sanity. Its a tough job, one I likely cant do. Oh and say bubye to 95% of your social life. Its hard to go out and have fun with 5 sick pigs at home that need constant handfeed and medicating.

jennylynn
GL Junkie

Post   » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:15 am

Wow SF, excellent collection on starting-a-rescue threads.
It might be worth it to put a sticky up in the Placement forum with all of those links. Lynx, I know you hate clutter, but for as many times as that question has been asked in the past few months, a sticky like that would probably save a lot of time, eh?

LER

Post   » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:18 am

I agree, jennylynn. I jus tread through them all - some I had seen and others I hadn't - lots of good info.

13guineapigs

Post   » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:32 am

After reading some of info on those other posts I think fostering would be a better choice for me. I have signed up as a foster at Animal welfare in chicago ridge a long time ago(like 7 months ago) and they never call. I did go in there and they had what they thought was a pregnant guinea, so I asked to foster her and they let me but she turned out to not be pregnant away. But like I said they never call. They looked at me like I was crazy when I asked to foster. Nobody there really knows about guinea pigs or at least it seemed that way when I help out there.They really only focus on cats and dogs. Thanks for all your info.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:43 am

That sounds like a great place to start.

If I were you, I'd probably just keep an eye out for local shelters. When a piggie pops up, make yourself known that you'd be happy to educate them, foster and donate the proper diet and hay. That makes a big difference because the shelter will pass along the good info to adopters.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:33 am

I added a link to Snowflakey's post on the grouped sticky in the Placement Forum (which also seems to be the rescue forum).

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:01 am

13, how close are you to Rose Pooler's Critter Corral (in Chicagoland - don't remember right off what suburb she's in)? She would be a very good person to contact about fostering and she very likely knows people in and around the greater Chicago area.

If you read some of the large seizure threads in the Placement forum, you'll see there are some piggie transports being organized. You might want to begin a conversation with those folks too. I think some pigs are coming to the Midwest.

13guineapigs

Post   » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:14 pm

I have spoken to Rose she only uses 2 foster homes and did not seem interested.I will check out those threads. As for donating guinea pig things to the shelter, I have done this before. It so sad becuase they get freash food donated (carrotts, apples) and no one there feeds it the guinea pigs. It goes old and then you have to throw it out. I have thrown out LOTS of fruit, and veggies that have just gone bad. It really sad that no one takes the time to wash and cut it and give it to the piggies.What can you do, not everyone thinks of guinea pigs like we do.Some people think I am crazy. They think they are just rats and what to know why I love them so much. I tell them that if they had one they would know why.Thanks for your help!

gracielee
Me, too!

Post   » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:08 pm

I think Rose would be interested if you want to foster. Fostering is a much better option for you in the Chicago area than starting another rescue. Rose is well connected and known among the shelters and AC in Chicago. They know her and know she will come get the pigs when called. I'm sure she could always use extra space.

Being a fosterer is a big commitment, so think carefully about it before you commit. There's not much more frustrating as a rescue than to have a foster family call out of the blue and say,"Such-and-such has happened, and I can't foster anymore. I need to drop off the pigs today".

Or, finding out that a foster home has lost interest in the pigs and is no longer giving them even basic care (you can read Chary's thread about her fosterers killing her rescue pigs if you need more info)

My foster families care for pigs that I don't have cage space for at the rescue. Therefore, if suddenly they no longer want to rescue, I have to find space for their pigs. If it's a true emergency, that's fine. But a lot of times people decide they want to foster, take in some pigs, and then 3 months later, they're tired of the pigs and want to quit.

13guineapigs

Post   » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:33 pm

I called Rose when I starting thinking about starting a small rescue, and she warned me about how hard it is and what a hardship it can be. Well, then I asked her about fostering and she told me she only uses two foster homes ( i am pretty sure she said only two). That is how I know she is not interested. I am not the kind of person who would back out at a moments notice, and I relize how hard it can be. Right now I have 13 guinea pigs and only 5 are mine, and am trying to find good permenant homes for them. Sure I could just give them to anyone but I won't do that,.There ia an application to fill out and that seems to scare people off. Also my local pet shop wanted to buy some babies from me and I would not due that. I am commited to finding guinea pigs good homes and helping them until they do.