New Piggie Owner..hi everyone

AuntyLaura

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:10 am

Hi everyone...My name is Laura and I´m a piggieholic. I was referred to this forum by Evangeline when I posted that I was looking for another piggie on Petfinder. I had adopted my first guinea pig, Roxanne, from a shelter in August. I was hooked. She is 3 years old and the people at the shelter said they were having a hard time adopting her out because she is older. She is VERY healthy and a bit plump. She is a beautiful golden agouti. What a personality! She was obviously loved and well cared for before she ended up at the shelter. I am not sure why anyone would give her up!!

I bought her one of those superpet cages..thought I was getting her the best money could buy. Of course, after reading all about the C & C cages..she is currently in a 2 x 4 grid cage and she LOVES it!!

This past week..after quite a few e-mails to Evangeline, I adopted Ruby at the shelter. She is a PEW and 6 months old. (I almost adopted a sweet red and white "female", that I later found out was a male). Ruby was abandoned in an empty apartment in a small, filthy, wire bottomed cage. She is a bit underweight and stained from being in such bad conditions. Right now she is in quarantine in Roxanne´s old cage in another room. In the three days since I´ve rescued her, she now licks my hand and runs to the front of the cage when I enter the room. She has been eating tons of Oxbow timothy hay, blue seal pellets and fresh veggies. She had kind of a rat like face when I got her because she was so thin. I swear she´s already putting on weight!

I run a small licensed daycare in my home with six VERY respectful 3 and 4 year olds. I make sure that I clean and take care of Roxanne´s cage in their presence so they know that we are her caretakers and she depends on us for food, a clean home, fresh water and of course, love. I never let them hold her or take her home for the weekend, but I do let them gently pet her when I hold her. I am looking forward to the end of the quarantine period so I can put Ruby and Roxanne together. Thanks to the posts, I know what to expect and hopefully can make a smooth transition for them both.

I am looking forward to reading all the posts and getting to know everyone here.

Laura

Sunny

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:37 am

Hello Laura and welcome! I see Evangeline has you well trained... I didn´t see one mention of "brown" in your color descriptions.

I´m glad to hear you moved Roxanne to the 2x4 grid cage. What a lucky pig to have found you. Ruby sounds like a sweety. Great that Roxanne will soon have someone to keep her company.

Is there a link somewhere so we can see pictures of your girls?

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:47 am

After the red/white "sow" episode, Laura is now known as the boars balls fondler.

Welcome, Laura.

Laura823

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:58 am

Hi and welcome, from another Laura.

Laura is now known as the boars balls fondler.

I see she´s ready for nick...
Last edited by Laura823 on Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jill

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:53 pm

Welcome Laura. Glad to hear you and your piggies are enjoying each other so much - they sound like great pigs and they are lucky to have found you.

I need to read up on the ball fondling though.
Last edited by Jill on Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pigpal

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:57 pm

Ooops - I just misread Jill´s post. I thought she wrote: Glad to hear you and your piggies are annoying each other so much!

Welcome Laura.

AuntyLaura

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:19 pm

So my nickname is the Boars´ Balls Fondler? And here I wasn´t even that popular in high school. <snicker>

Ciaytee
Almost Inbred

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:37 pm

See, if you´d just tried that in high school, then you would have been very popular. With the boys, anyway. Might even have made cheerleader (oooh).

Welcome.

Zoe

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:06 pm

Welcome AuntyLaura. Sounds like you have lucky pigs. Looking forward to hearing more. Would love photos sometime if you can.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:41 pm

The things girls have to do...

It sounds like your pigs have found a wonderful new home. They sound beautiful!

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:21 pm

Welcome to the board. Your pigs sound adorable, I love PEW´s, I have one myself that is a peruvian.

A Boar Ball Fondler?!? Maybe that´s just a fancy title for a piggy masseuse....hee hee