Are we pregnant?

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:24 pm

Spotty-
Your own words, on page 1 of this thread.

I will no longer post here or even read this site.

Red Blur
Chocolate Giver

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:28 pm

Sparkle - I believe it´s obvious that some people want to breed and others "want" to rescue. However, the people who operate this board, and those who have most of the knowlege, vehemently disagree with breeding. If a person wants advice on how to breed their animals, this is the wrong place to come for it. Their arguments come from experience and passion about those beliefs, and the hoped for accomplishment would be to end all unnecessary breeding of animals.

sparkle

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:34 pm

Sorry I was only asking

Red Blur
Chocolate Giver

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:43 pm

And I was only answering...no raised voice or bitchy intentions here...

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:44 pm

Don´t be sorry for asking, Sparkle.

You are new here, new to pigs, and no one is expecting you to know where we´re coming from. So don´t worry too much, ok?

Many people here are involved in rescues. Some, like me and many others, do it once in a while, when we find a needy pig. Others do it full time. Teresa and Pigpal have had to deal with a dump of 350 pigs last year and again 187 pigs this summer. Most of the sows being pregnant, you can easily multiply by 3. Just a few weeks ago, Becci (helped by Carl, Red Blur, 2 and 2, etc) received a dump of 150 pigs. Same situation, many pregnant sows. Vicki usually has 80+ pigs in her rescue. Teresa is all excited because she ONLY has 60 at the moment. Over 500 homeless pigs are avalable for adoption in her area only.

Knowing this, you probably understand better why we feel so strongly about breeding. Many people here spend so much energy cleaning up other people´s mess that you can´t honnestly ask them to agree with breeding.

pigpal

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:48 pm

Some people rescue BECAUSE some people breed. Exactly.

Those that are rescued are the lucky ones.

Others HAVE to euthanize because others breed. Shelter workers don´t enjoy going around hanging the signs on the cages of animals that are going to be put to death the next day, giving them one last meal or stroke on the head. They don´t enjoy seeing yet another pregnant animal come through the door, knowing those babies will never even get to be born.

There´s no room to keep these animals until someone eventually, maybe, comes to give them a home. There simply aren´t enough homes for the guinea pigs that already exist, WHY BREED MORE????? Why? To see cute little babies? To produce the perfect show animal and win a ribbon? Why?

Give me a good reason, please. I truly don´t understand why these animals have to die.

Why do you breed, Sparkle? Please tell me, I really, sincerely want to know.
Last edited by pigpal on Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pigpal

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:55 pm

You know, someone on another forum asked why not "live and let live"?

I wish these "surplus" pigs could be allowed to live and let live, unfortunately, it´s because people choose to keep breeding more that they can´t.

Sparkle, to clarify, I don´t even know if you DO breed, I´m asking why would you, why would anyone?
Last edited by pigpal on Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leebee

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:11 pm

***DISCLAIMER: These links are very difficult to watch, so please don´t click on them if you are extremely sensitive. That said, I do think they´re worthwhile.

http://www.spotsociety.org/fatedog.html

http://www.spotsociety.org/fatecat.html

Everyone who wants to breed their animal should view these links.

One is a dog, and one is a cat, but they are representative of all animals.

pigpal

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:25 pm

I don´t think anyone answered the question about the rendering truck. It´s a big truck that comes by a couple of times a week to empty the freezer. The dead bodies are hauled away by an independent contractor who renders them. They get cooked up and various components used for other purposes. The fat (tallow) goes to make cosmetics and soap, I believe.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:27 pm

And glue, I´m pretty sure.

pigpal

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:36 pm

What happens to the bodies is neither here nor there to me. It´s the fact that they have to die that brings the lump to my throat every single time.

AuntyLaura

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:42 pm

I think, before anyone decides to breed their pig or dog or cat or whatever kind of animal, he or she should go down to the shelter and see all the baby animals there. See how healthy and beautiful they are. I´ll bet they wouldn´t breed.

One other thing...in reading some posts, some people say, "I have homes lined up for the babies." But tell me, how many of these people you adopt out to end up wanting to experience the whole baby guinea pig thing too. It goes on and on and on! Until you´ve worked in rescue, or even visited all the little ones at the shelter, you can´t begin to understand the problem. Bitter, catty, judgemental??? You would be too if you seem to have any compassion or the brains to comprehend the problem.