DuoCide L.A

eve l

Post   » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:52 pm

Does anyone know if this is safe to use on Guinea Pigs with Lice? I have not been able to find a "for guinea pigs" treatment and the vet assistant gave me this to use (she said my vet said to spray them lightly once a week with it for 3 weeks). I just wanted to check with other guinea pig owners as to what they use as the label only mentions Dogs and Cats with Fleas and Ticks. When I began to suspect lice I took them to the vet and he sprayed them with a pink liquid and this is just for follow-up to ensure they are gone (catch any eggs that may hatch).

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:53 pm

What is the active ingredient?

lisam

Post   » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:43 pm

Is it the same as Warfarin? The rat killer?

eve l

Post   » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:24 pm

Pyrethrins and Permethrin are the two main ingredients. It is made by Allerderm. My vet has been wonderful with our g.p's (they are his pet of choice as well - he has two) and I'm not questioning his advice at all but was just curious if anyone else had heard of this product or used it at all. He told me earlier (before I picked up this stuff) that a lot of the sprays, dusts etc were toxic to G.P's so I'm sure he looked into its safety. He said that a dust to use (this was if I could still see active lice) was a product called Sevin that is mainly used for cows but is approved for Guinea Pigs. I live in Canada so maybe these products are only sold here?

icesprite

Post   » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:28 pm

I think Pyrethrins are bad for small animals. You are better off to use Advantage to treat for lice. Check out the lice info on the main site:

https://www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html#lice
Last edited by icesprite on Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:28 pm

Pyrethrins are not safe. Advantage or topical Ivermectin are much safer products to use for lice.

eve l

Post   » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:31 am

Do you mean Advantage for dogs? When I called and asked our local pet store about guinea pig treatments for lice they said they didn't have any and didn't offer to order any either (when I told them that the guinea pig I had just gotten from their had lice, which meant her cagemates there probably had it too - they didn't care at all).

sallymac
Cavia Emptor

Post   » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:37 am

Eve -
I had a similar problem. Most pet supply stores aren't carrying Advantage because the product should be prescribed by a vet. I was lucky to find one that *did* when my pigs had crawlies (freaked me out more than it bothered the pigs). I wasn't sure my vet would go for it, but she surprised me after the fact and concurred that Advantage would be the right solution.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:05 pm

Pet stores don't know anything. Using Advantage for guinea pigs is "off-label" use, so your vet might not want to prescribe it, but it's much safer than using anything at the store.

lisam

Post   » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:19 pm

Definitely don't use the Sevin Dust.

melcvt00

Post   » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:38 pm

Oh, ick. Please get some Advantage.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:12 pm

"Pyrethrins and Permethrin are the two main ingredients."

No, no, please no, don't use this. These are poisons, pure and simple; will likely harm your animal and won't help.

Advantage is available online:

Advantage source

I buy the orange (cats 9 lbs. or less) size tubes. This is the most expensive way to do it, but I am sure of the dosing and don't have that many to do at one time. One drop from the orange tube on the skin at the back of the head; one drop gently rubbed into the skin at the base of the rump. Lice are gone almost immediately. The product is supposed to work for 30 days (through one 28-day hatching cycle), but we reapplied after 2 1/2-3 weeks to be sure. No lice. No eggs. It also sanitizes the environment so we did no special cleaning other than routine. Touch wood I have not seen a louse since.

It works safely and very well.