Utah - 21 pigs need homes!

Sunny

Post   » Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:28 am

Excellent Erin! Thanks for the idea.

Sunny

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:02 pm

Vet visit was a success! We confirmed all the babies´ sexes and gave the mites infested pigs their 3rd dose of ivermectin. We also cleaned out two impacted boars (YUMMY!).

The sickest little girl had a seziure during her examine :-( Poor sweety. She´s only two months old and has a severe case of mites, a URI and probably a fungal infection. I´ve brought her home to nurse her back to health.

The car ride was fine. I didn´t even need to do the double decker. My car is bigger than I thought.

Becky

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:05 pm

Good luck with your sick little girl, Sunny and knock ´em dead next weekend!

Sunny

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:08 pm

Thanks Becky ;-)

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:13 pm

sunny. you can send me baby genders when you get a chance :)

Good luck with the sick little one, I hope she pulls through with flying colors

Figwbraids

Post   » Sat Oct 26, 2002 12:24 am

<GULP!> I´m sooooo sorry, I didn´t know that to refer to the color brown wasn´t in good taste...let me try to explain what colors the 2 pigs I´m babysitting are again....a-hem...
the larger, more social one is a lovely taupe color with interdispersted black hairs throughout it´s short coat
the smaller one is a wonderful warm, shinny orange with longer but still flat laying hair,
please cut me a little slack...I´m totally new to being a surrogate piggy Mom & just want to figger out how to get these guys into a better living condition before the real owners show up & want them back!
Boy are they in for a surprise...they will have some pages to read up on & a few well placed "talks" about responsibility in animal care!
Fig

Becky

Post   » Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:00 pm

Sunny, how did your gp info/education day go?

I´ve been thinking about you.

pigpal

Post   » Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:03 pm

Yes, any potential adopters???

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:02 am

yes, update = ) Any more "ADOPTED" signs I need to place under piggie pics on the album?

Herbie

Post   » Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:14 pm

Sunny,

The baby with the mites and seizures. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! Get LymDyp from the vet and sponge her down once a week for a month. For a pig the dose is 1 tablespoon to 2 cups of warm water. It stinks and will turn her fur yellow for a few days. But once the seizures start, trust me Ivermectin alone will not cure her. You don´t need to soak her, just dampen her all over from her head back. And she can hide in a warm cozy to dry.
I know LymDyp smells awful, but it works better than anything!

This info is from Dr Kathy Quesenberry from the AMC in NY. She finally cured Herbie with this stuff, after two years of seizures.

Donna

Sunny

Post   » Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:43 pm

Hi Donna, thanks for your suggestion. I´ve not heard of LymDyp and would like some more opinions.

Anyone???

Everything I´ve read says that Ivermectin alone WILL cure it, although it may take several doses. She´s had her third dose and is going in for a fourth this weekend. Poor little girl - her entire body is covered in scabs. I guess scabs are good because they indicate healing, right? How people can let an animal get like this is beyond me.

Scruffy hasn´t seizured (that I know of) since that one incident. She is getting braver about coming out of her box to explore her cage. I felt a breakthrough this morning when she came out to watch me prepare her breakfast - she´s never done that before and has never even wheeked for food. I look forward to the day when she is fat, noisy and confident.

Sunny

Post   » Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:46 pm

Scruffy is the last pig on Erin´s Utah page:
http://www.imageevent.com/erin8607/utahrescues

She´s always got that timid, frightened look on her face. Poor sweety.