Panic! Eye clouded over

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:08 am

No prob getting Gentocin in Canada. Also have used Cipro eye drops. I haven´t had much success with BNP. My favourite, although pricy, is Chloralean(eye version of Chloramphenicol). But you have to watch it doesn´t come in contact with your skin.

It´s very weird the difference of med availability. I have a pig on Metacam which isn´t available in the States for animals.

Teresa

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:18 am

The upper rim of her eye was very red.

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:33 am

Standard for eye injuries.

Teresa

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:45 am

Yeah, definitely looks that way now. At least, now, it´s clear to me.

Teresa

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:36 pm

Well, it looks slightly better than late last night, but not better than these photos. So, I won´t take photos right now. Should be back from the vet in a few hours.

Teresa

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 4:38 pm

She did the stain. She said it´s a corneal laceration. The eye is swollen. She´s worried about an abscess behind it. I have a new ointment - Gentak 3x daily. And Baytril. Keeping the appt with my vet for Thursday pm. I´m to keep an eye on the eye! :)

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 4:48 pm

Don´t know Gentak myself.

Treated quickly with the right meds these things usually come out fine. You should see improvements within a day. On really bad eye injuries we´ve had to get up at night to give eye drops every 2 hours. Haven´t lost an eye yet.

Teresa

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 5:15 pm

The vet was also concerned that I didn´t use anything with steriods or cortizone, so I´m guessing this ointment is okay.

Thanks for the help.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 10:17 pm

O.K., so what´s in this Gentak?

Glad to hear things are diagnosed for now. You may not do any good with BNP, but it can sometimes help. At the very least, it will lubricate the eye! I have also used chloramphenicol, but there are more potential drug side effects. Works nicely on the tougher jobs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 10:25 pm

http://www.ahealthyadvantage.com/topic/topic100589961

Seems to be gentamicin ophthalmic:

Pronunciation: jen ta MYE sin
Brand: Garamycin Ophthalmic, Genoptic, Gentacidin, Gentak

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 10:43 pm

I should have figured it out by the brand name! Thanks.

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 10:53 pm

Gentocin is Gentamicin sulfate USP

Sounds kinda close?