Ivermectin overdose symptoms?

Teresa

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 8:58 pm

Would hair loss on the belly be a sympton of someone overdosing a guinea pig with ivomec? I don´t have clarification yet, but it sounds like maybe .1cc was given.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:30 pm

No.

Check out the ivermectin page (see index and "Ivermectin"). At the top is a list of possible side effects. This list came from The American Board of Veterinary Toxicology (ABVT) -- and there is a link to it there.

I´m pretty sure hairloss is not a side effect. It could be the hair was about to fall out and in was just coincidental.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:45 pm

Nope. I agree. The CCT uses up to 0.1cc of the cattle concentration of Ivomec per kg of cavy. I used to use that dosage and had no ill side effects with any of my cavies. Now I use half the dosage and it works just as well.

Teresa

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 9:26 pm

I think it´s an allergic reaction to the bedding. I´m suggesting they switch beddings.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 9:09 am

Hormones? Cushings?

Teresa

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:39 am

Would hair loss on the belly be a possibility for either?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:46 am

Cystic ovaries could be bilateral hairloss. I saw Snowflake pulling out hair on the sides of her stomache. It could be something bugged her and she was pulling it out from some sort of hormonal itch. As far as that goes, the pig might be doing it to herself for the heck of it, too.
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:59 pm

Stomach hair loss could indicate cystic ovaries. Hair loss from Cushings is usually bilateral on the sides to start with.

My vet is starting to wonder if some sows are prone to hair loss when they cycle. I´ve had a few that have had standard hormonal hair loss that is only temporary.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 5:57 pm

Hey, I just noticed today that Snowflake is shedding quite a bit. It hasn´t all fallen out (at least not at this time) but petting her yeilded much more than usual. I was literally covered with hair.

How is Amidala doing?

pinta

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 6:22 pm

I imagine stress can cause hair loss and it is getting to be spring. Maybe winter coats are being shed although I don´t know if pigs get winter coats.

Don´t cats shed a lot about now?

If they aren´t going bald or getting bald patches I wouldn´t worry.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 8:07 pm

It is possible some of it is adjacent to the area that was losing hair before (side of her stomache). It may be my imagination, but it may be getting larger. I do think it is rather generalized too. She has always had thinnish hair. You can see her pink skin easily.