First Angel...now it's Elsie..crying when peeing.!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:34 pm

E--The pig has been on Bactrim for 4 weeks.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:43 pm

No kidney stones. She's been ultrasounded and no stones found. She even had exploratory bladder surgery. What came out was considered "matter that could not be analyzed". She stopped crying when peeing shortly after that surgery.

She's crying again when peeing. After numerous urinalysis's the vet has switched to the cysto/culture route.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:44 pm

All other diagnostics have only indicated inflammation as far as her bladder and vagina are concerned.

So, should I just go ahead and let him do another cysto/culture?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:48 pm

Either way, she's going to need multiples of repeat cultures--maybe for life. Trying another ab right now might not hurt.

Is she on any other supplemental therapy? Glucosamine or cranberry/blueberry extracts?

Other than the above, I can only suggest tracking down a second opinion at a university teaching hospital. Maybe even consulting with one via phone? Your vet would have to arrange.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:56 pm

She's on Polycitra and that's it right now. I stopped the Bactrim over a week ago so he could do the culture. I am confused..why does she need repeat cultures?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:57 pm

How do I give her cranberry/blueberry extracts? Where do I buy it and in what form? How much do I give her? I'd like to try it out.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:28 pm

If her bladder is inflamed the acid in cranberry wouldn't be good for her.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:43 pm

Thanks Holly. I think her bladder is inflammed as well as her vagina. This we've known for a while. The goal is to give her relief from the pain when urinating. I feel so bad for her. She's been suffering over a year now. The only good thing right now is that she doesn't cry every time. I let it go for a while like that but then it escalated a few months ago and that's why she went to this new vet who did the exploratory.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:52 pm

The thing is, it's very hard to diagnose IC with animals, IMO. They can't tell you if they have urgency or frequency or pain. I guess pain, in some regards with the squeaking. Personally, I think your pig fits the description although I can't be sure.

When people have an infection they need to stay away from acidic foods, drinks, etc. Cranberry juice can be an effective way to prevent urinary infections when one isn't present. In patients with IC, the lining of the bladder is hurt, so to speak and needs time to rebuild. Sometimes it never does and other times it waxes and wanes. Think of it like a burn. You wouldn't pour lemon juice into a burn since it would hurt and prevent healing. The bladder lining is the same way.

Did Laura mention an Elmiron equivellent for animals in this thread?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:53 pm

"Did Laura mention an Elmiron equivellent for animals in this thread?"

No, please do.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:00 pm

I found this on another thread:

Posted by Laura:

Glucosamine could help. If you don't want to do glucosamine you might want to ask your vet about pentosan polysulfate (it's the same stuff as Elmiron, which is one of the standard treatments for IC in humans). One of the vets at the clinic I go to was trying it for cats and I assume it could be used for pigs as well. It works similarly to glucosamine, coating the bladder.

Maybe this was already mentioned but Becky posted about trying Cosequin to coat the bladder. She felt her pig had some side effects (yeast) and had to go off the medicine. Not sure if Cosequin is related.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:07 pm

I found some info on cats and Elmiron. I'm going to bring it with me to show the vet.

Thanks for the tip Holly. I really appreciate it.