First Angel...now it's Elsie..crying when peeing.!

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:12 pm

You're welcome. Keep in mind, too, infection could still be a culprit. People with IC sometimes stay on ab's. It's rather complicated.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:14 pm

Becky also put her pig on Meloxicam for weeks and weeks until the bladder irritation finally went away, if I'm not mistaken.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:34 pm

I'd like to try Meloxicam again. I gave it to her for two weeks with no change noticed.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:40 pm

I think it took a lot more than two weeks for Becky to start seeing improvement, but she,ll have to give you the details herself.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:03 pm

Cosequin is a veterinary brand of a glucosamine product.

The recheck U/As and cultures are to make sure the pig is free from infection. It's standard practice with stubborn UTIs or IC

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:09 pm

Okay, I can understand the rechecks. Can you shed some light on this - the urine taken from the cystocentisis on Saturday had white blood cells in it which were found with a urinalysis. The culture turned up negative. All I was told was that "sometimes the bacteria gets lost". So, I'll now have to pay another $85 to repeat the procedure/test. How does the bacteria "get lost"?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:23 pm

I don't know what they meant by that.

Sometimes microflora doesn't show up. The WBCs are abnormal, however. Somehow there is still blood and inflammation in there.

pinta

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:53 am

Years ago I had a pig who couldn't metabolize calcium. Her bladder filled up with sludge completely. The solution was a low/no calcium diet and polycitra. She lived at least another 6 quality months after diagnosis but her urine was almost always bloody from the sludge scraping her urethrea. She also had a daily low dose of baytril to prevent infections from taking hold.

Something to consider.

double trouble

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:08 am

GP Lover could you please go to my thread about lots of crystals? It sounds like we have the same thing going on except my vet is considering euthanasia. I would appreciate any thought you have since you have been dealing with it for so long.

Also, pinta, how did you discover the calcium problem?

Becky

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:13 am

Chippy never had an infection, so this might be different.

Carole, how debilitating is the pain, do you think? You probably covered this, but does she have pain, then go about her usual pig business?

It just might be that she'll have pain when she pees and poops. I've kind of come to terms with that. I've got the metacam for when it lasts more than a day and, for the most part, it hasn't impacted her life much.

Just something to discuss with your vet and think about.

pinta

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:56 am

It was so long ago it's hard to remember. Neverending UTIs. Sludgy urine. An xray that showed a huge mass in the bladder that turned out to be sludge. Hunched pig always crying when peeing. I do remember my vet was recommending euth until Delilah purred when she stroked her even though she was hunched and crying.

Then she started consulting with other vets to get an answer and did from the University of Saskatchewan(I think)

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:37 am

double trouble - I'll have a look and see if I can offer anything.

Pinta - she's on a low calcium diet and polycitra (3rd week now on it). Her culture showed Bactrim to be one of the drugs of choice. She was on it for 5 weeks. Baytril was tried first. She's not had sludge in her urine or blood that was visible by eye.

Becky - she has the pain for a few seconds sometimes while peeing and then goes about her business. I had to come to terms with that and accept it last fall when the first vet gave up and said to just accept it. It was only this past spring when I brought her to this new vet because I could see the pain escalated. She began crying louder and more often.

The only thing we know for sure (ha! I think!) is what E said. The white blood cells indicate an infection.

Angel has a wonderful quality of life and unless you were standing next to her when she peed you'd never know anything was wrong!

I just hope one more culture and one more antibiotic will do the trick.