I think Missy got poked in the eye...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:32 pm

Those are great, Erin. Exceptionally crisp.

Here is a cropped view:

Side view:

Full side view (so you can see the eye angle of above photo):

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:46 pm

Oh, they are exceptionally good and sad. I hope this eye can be saved. I looked at the eye pics I have in a medical book but I only see pics of cataracts and other unrelated things. Hopefully Josephine has seen enough injured eyes to be able to give you some feedback.

ChelesGP
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:40 am

I had to leave Missy at the vet's so that Dr. Carol can consult with Dr. DeRosa (and have him take a look at the eye) who will be assisting with the surgery. Missy now has some teeth issues that I noticed last night. Her bottom incisor (sp?) on the side of her "good" eye has grown longer then the one on the side of her bad eye. It was fine two days ago, and she is still eating just fine. They will be giving me an estimate (for the surgery) when I pick her up and scheduling her surgery for next week. While she is under Dr. Carol will take a look at her teeth and do what ever needs done. I did talk to her about the fact that you have to do both incisors (sp?) and molars, and she was aware of that, so she must have the correct knowledge of guinea pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:07 am

Bulging is an indication there may be an abscess or other dental problems. It didn't sound like the eyes were bulging in your initial description . Given the teeth problems you mention now, it might help to do an xray to see if something is going on with the teeth.

ChelesGP
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:12 am

That is part of the plan Lynx. They will include x-rays in with the surgery estimate. I'm kinda scared to see the estimate. Sammi is so far my most expensive pig (spay), but somehow I think Missy is about to take over the rank of "most expensive" pig.

ChelesGP
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:24 pm

Missy is home now and is having her eye removed Next Friday. The eye is dying so it needs to be removed, two vet's came to the same conclusion. The cost of the surgery is about $340.00, which includes x-rays, eye removal, anesthetic, teeth trimming etc. I'm to continue her meds until then to help prevent any more infection from occuring. Poor Missy.

lisam

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:43 pm

Poor girl. At least now you have plan of action.

When my horse had her eye removed years ago, it was $500. They did it with local anethesia while she was standing! I stood by her and talked and pet her, and gave her moral support through the whole thing, but couldn't watch.

Will they be suturing the lids shut?

ChelesGP
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:49 pm

You know Lisam, I never thought to ask. Should it be sutured shut? The vet explained the surgery to me last week, but I don't remember her saying anything about suturing the eye lid shut. I'll have to call her and ask.

leebee

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:11 pm

I had Fuzzy's eye removed a couple of months ago. She got bitten on her eye while doing introductions. They did suture her eye shut. It healed really well. Her eye looked very similar to Missy's, maybe a bit more puffy. It was a relief to her to have it removed, as it was painful and swollen.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 735#339735
There are some pictures of her sutured eye on the thread. I wasn't able to get "before" pictures.

ChelesGP
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:51 am

Thanks for the info Leebee. I just hope Missy's surgery goes as well as Fuzzy's did. I think I would feel better if the eye lid was sutured closed.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:39 pm

I posted on the thread last night? Where did it go?

Hmmm... Basically, it was all about removing the eye sounding like the best plan. All surgeons I know will suture the eyelids shut. I think the only time they aren't sutured is when the owner denies veterinary care and the eye shrivels and ruptures on its own. Painful beyond words.