I think Missy got poked in the eye...

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:09 am

There are a couple people whose pigs have had enucleations (eye removal). It certainly can be done.

lisam

Post   » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:18 am

I think that eye removal is the best thing in some cases. I would definitely talk to your vet about it. In our area there used to be a vet who dealt specifically with eye problems.

ChelesGP
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:59 pm

I talked to the vet today. She say's to continue her current treatment until the culture comes back, should be back in 72 hr to 3 days. Once we know exactly what bacteria we are dealing with, then we will changing her meds. She said that it is a good sign that the eye has not got any worse (still little improvement). She did tell me that when she seen Missy on Thursday that the globe in her eye was still intact, which was also good. She was happy to hear that Missy is still her normal self, eatting, drinking, etc. except for that eye. I also talked to her about the worse case being that we have to remove Missy's eye. She said that she has not personally done one, but she has assisted with one. She has done dog's & cat's, which she said the eye structures are similar to that of a guniea pig. At this point, I do feel that she is very knowledgable of guinea pigs and trust her to do the surgery if needed. Any thoughts?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:21 pm

No thoughts. Just good wishes for you both.

ChelesGP
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:30 pm

I think Missy's eye is dying, hopefully i'm wrong. I called the vet but she was only in half a day today, so I can't see her til tomorrow. There is some changes in Missy's eye, but I don't know if it's healing or dying. The redness is going down and it's not bulging as much. It looks like where the ulceration is on her eye, I guess the best way to describe it is, looking kinda like it's shriveling up. Also, she now has a black ring around her whole eye ball, which I thought was maybe the color of her eye coming back but it also on her bottom eye lid. Could this be dying tissue? If it is dead tissue would there be anything else worth trying (treatment wise) or just have the eye removed? Does anyone know where I could fine some pictures of an injured GP eye and the healing process? The culture should be back tomorrow.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:44 pm

Michele, I'll come over tonight and snap some pictures. I napped for a few hours. Someone is coming over tonight to take "Shady" the garage cat home, so I'll try to call and come over when she leaves.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:31 pm

Yes, if you could put some pictures up here that might be really helpful. Hopefully Josephine could give you some feedback.

I'm sorry the eye is looking so bad.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:32 pm

I tried calling Michele at 7, the phone was busy for quite awhile. I fell asleep and didn't make it over there.

Tomorrow is another day.

ChelesGP
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:01 pm

The culture results are back, and unfortunatly they didn't grow anything. Dr. Carol said that she spoke to the pathologist and they said that it is common in 90% of eye ulcerations for nothing to grow unless the infection has become systemic. So, at this point we don't feel that Missy's infection has become systemic. I'm to continue all her med until she can be seen. She is in surgery all day tomorrow, so she will be seeing Missy on Friday morning. She did say that the black ring around her eye did not sound normal and that it very well may be dead tissue. We won't know anymore til Friday morning, so all I can do is hope and pray that she doesn't lose her eye. And if she does, that will just may her even more special then she is already!

ChelesGP
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:00 pm

Erin just left after taking some pictures of Missy's eye. She will be posting them in a little while.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:38 pm

Eye photo's-

Somewhat larger versions can be seen here: http://imageevent.com/erin8607/medicalphotos

Lynx, if you want the full 2304x1536 versions of any, let me know and I will load them.

Michele, I'd like to attempt to get over sometime tomorrow and hopefully get some pictures in the sunlight without the flash. I need to locate my car keys first though. Ugh.

ChelesGP
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:51 pm

Thanks Erin, for posting the pictures for me. This is 6 days into her treatment. See what I mean about how you can see the blackening around her eye and on her bottom eye lid. Has anyone ever seen an eye injury like this, if so was there any chance of saving the eye? I need all the input I can get because Friday will be decision day, keep the eye or remove it.
Erin, I will be home tomorrow until about 5pm then I have to go to cheerleading with Angela and play babysitter to the coaches.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:20 pm

I could use the last two pics in a larger size -- I would crop them and stick them here for reference (I assume that's fine you you all).

Is her eye weepy? Or is it all the drops she's getting? It certainly does look strange.

ChelesGP
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:49 pm

It's not weepy, she doesn't like the BNP ointment so she shakes her head and gets it all over.

ChelesGP
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:59 am

Does anyone have any input?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:43 am

If you send me the large size pics (the two bottom ones, which are clearer), I'll post them and hopefully Josephine can give some feedback.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:32 pm

Those are great, Erin. Exceptionally crisp.

Here is a cropped view:

Side view:

Full side view (so you can see the eye angle of above photo):

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:46 pm

Oh, they are exceptionally good and sad. I hope this eye can be saved. I looked at the eye pics I have in a medical book but I only see pics of cataracts and other unrelated things. Hopefully Josephine has seen enough injured eyes to be able to give you some feedback.

ChelesGP
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:40 am

I had to leave Missy at the vet's so that Dr. Carol can consult with Dr. DeRosa (and have him take a look at the eye) who will be assisting with the surgery. Missy now has some teeth issues that I noticed last night. Her bottom incisor (sp?) on the side of her "good" eye has grown longer then the one on the side of her bad eye. It was fine two days ago, and she is still eating just fine. They will be giving me an estimate (for the surgery) when I pick her up and scheduling her surgery for next week. While she is under Dr. Carol will take a look at her teeth and do what ever needs done. I did talk to her about the fact that you have to do both incisors (sp?) and molars, and she was aware of that, so she must have the correct knowledge of guinea pigs.

64 posts