Princess - Bladder Sludge and UTI

ChadWPB

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:14 pm

Just a little update:

Princess is doing rather well. Her weight is up approximately one ounce since treatment with Bactrim began, and she squeals a lot less while peeing. We've also made some necessary diet changes by lowering her oxalic acid intake (since she has calcium oxalate sludge). Even the gut flora's been kept nicely in check as her poops look like she's not even on AB's.

She's still her normal, bossy self.

We're still waiting for the culture results, and we are dropping off a sample for re-culturing next Friday.

double trouble

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:45 pm

What kind of changes do you need to make for calcium carbonate crystals?

ChadWPB

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:27 pm

Calcium carbonate crystal (the most common kind) are controlled by maintaining a proper Ca:P ratio of 1.5:1 to 2:1. Becky (same Becky in this thread) has a lot of experience with stone pigs and provided a lot of info for this page:

https://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

Everything you need to know is there.

double trouble

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:12 pm

Ok, I was reading the right info,then. It was hard to tell if in fact it pertained to calcium carbonate. I gave my first subque tonight and I will never do it again! I didn't penetrate the skin the first time and he squealed alot! The second time was not any easier. Their skin is much thicker than ours, plus a smaller surface area. I'm really thankful though for this site and people who are familiar with these things!

Becky

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:22 pm

The Ca:Ph ratio isn't just for stones. All pigs should have as favorable a ratio as possible. It's just more important for stone/sludge pigs since they have "issues" with calcium. All five of my pigs are on the same "diet."

Yes, they squeal when you give them a subcue. I also have a pig that squeals when another pig looks at her.

You have to weigh their discomfort against the benefits and make your decision.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:27 am

Becky is absolutely right on that Ca:Ph ratio being good for all pigs. It's also good for many, many animals. I've read about problems with other species and they push the same ratios for those animals (herbivores).

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:46 am

Becky, would it be too much trouble for you to list what foods you give for the diet?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:58 am

She has a detailed list on the stones page:

www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:04 am

I am asking if Becky can post a list of what she's feeding, specifically. I am interested in seeing it.

That way I can compare it to what I'm feeding. I find looking at the chart a bit overwhelming.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:08 am

Never mind...I see her list.

ChadWPB

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:32 am

The Ca:Ph ratio isn't just for stones. All pigs should have as favorable a ratio as possible.

That's why my entire herd is eating on the new diet.

sosumi

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:41 am

ChadWPB, how is your piggy now?

I will have to print out this CA:Ph list. My girl was just diagnosed with stones today and the vet is attempting to remove them through her urethera in a couple hours. (I resurected an old post titled "ovarian cysts" with more details.

Take care,
sosumi.