Flying with pigs

richardsdm
All for the Hogs

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:16 am

My suggestion is to drive. I know it's a pain the butt, however it seems the safest.

What would worry me about stowing them like cargo is the connecting flight you mentioned. I would bet everyone on this board has a horror story about losing luggage through connecting flights or flights being canceled because of weather. I know I have. I got stuck in NY with a thunderstorm and had to stay an extra night with no idea where my luggage was. And that is simply a piece of luggage with clothes. With pigs and cats that could be disasterous.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:22 am

Stay safe driving if that's what you end up doing.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:25 am

Yeah, I agree there-- but I was under the impression that animals were kept in a separate area and that you're responsible for picking them up and transporting them to your connecting flight yourself. (At least one airline I read said that.)

I'm really worried that if I'm offered a job, I won't be able to take the time to drive my car out immediately, and I certainly don't want to leave the pigs behind. My other worry is that it'll be winter and driving through miles of nothingness in the midwest makes me nervous. If we broke down in the cold, it could be really bad. (The cats could probably deal with it long enough for us to do something, but it could be *bad* for the pigs.)

Ugh. Neither seems like a terribly good option to me. *sigh* They need to invent teleporters already.

[Edit: Half of my concern about driving stems from the fact that my car has 117k miles on it. >_< But... it is a GOOD little car. Never died on me yet. *knocks on wood*]

Wheek Times 3

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:52 pm

I flew with a piggy last year, but only one. America West lets you take pets on board (they don't allow any animals in cargo). I don't know how many you are allowed to take, but you can check with them. You'd need a carrier that fits under the seat infront of you (call them and they'll tell you the maximum size). They also require a certificate from a vet stating the guinea pig is healthy and when you get to security, you have to take the guinea pig out so that they can check the carrier.

If you have 5 piggies to transport, it can get quite expensive and quite a hassle. Plus, you might have to buy more than one ticket as I'm fairly sure that America West limits pets to one or two. If you can drive, you might be better off transporting the pigs that way.

LER

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:00 pm

If it's too cold, you woun't be able to fly the pigs as cargo anyway.

If you have a carry on carrier stuffed with hay, then how can they tell if it's two pigs or one in there. <smile> Of course, that doesn' rhelp with all five, but, still, it's something.

That said, I know many people who have had birds shipped cargo on Delta I think and things have gone well. But again, if it's too cold where you are going from or two, that won't be an option anyway. Good luck!!

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:04 pm

Unfortunately, most airlines require that you remove animals from the carriers so that the carriers can be searched. >_<

In terms of the cold thing... I talked to a lady at Northwest, and apparently if I few with a layover in the North, I couldn't take them after Sept. But if I fly with a layover far enough south, then I could. I have no idea. For now, I'm thinking driving is the best option... Blah.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:12 pm

Would you be able to have a friend drive out with you (for company, take turns driving, etc) and then pay for a flight back? I think driving is the best option in the circumstances.

LER

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:41 pm

"Would you be able to have a friend drive out with you (for company, take turns driving, etc) and then pay for a flight back? I think driving is the best option in the circumstances."

This is EXACTLY what I did when I moved back from FL to NY. MY terrific friend joANn came with me, we took turns driving and drove straight through (24 hours) and the next morning I put her one a plane home <cries>

It was REALLY helpful to have her help.

Or, maybe you could have your boyfriend (id that right) fly out to you and drive back with you?

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:49 pm

We had an adopter say she flew her pig from NC to CA on Delta. They allowed her to carry the pig in a carrier onboard with them.

Orvis
Power to the Pigs

Post   » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:20 am

LER good idea on them not noticing the multiple pigs - but what happens is when you have to go through the detector, you have to take your pets out of the carrier and walk through with them. They can't go through the X-ray machine. I don't know if the people at the gate would catch it, since they are usually not airline people. I'd like to know just in case. I am a consultant that travels from my home state to the client state every week. I usually have a corporate apartment, as I do now, and the husband drives out in the mini van after I get settled with the pets. But for various reasons in the past I have had to bring my cat numerous times on Delta.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:13 am

One of my adopters is flying America West to Phoenix from Maryland this weekend. And both pigs are allowed in a carrier with a health certificate. I sure hope it works out. He had like zero notice. Just found out yesterday morning that he is being transferred!!!

Judi L.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:13 pm

Wow, that's awesome. I'm going to end up driving mine.