Petting Pigs

Sunny

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 3:50 pm

I missed out on this conversation and just want to add that Spot loves to be pet from head to butt, and gives a loud purr when I do this. Lynx, I´m so sorry you´ve never heard a purr, it´s the most wonderful thing! One of the few ways you can tell when your pig is happy (that and popcorning).

Spot gets so comfy, he forgets about gravity. Once, I had him on my chest and he assumed my arm was somewhere it wasn´t, and he rolled over, over, and over and nearly fell off the couch (saved by my quick reflexes).

JustAnotherGPSlave

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:14 pm

Bailey LOVES to be scrunched all the way to his piggie behind :D (scrunching is sort of like what a person does when they scrunch their hair to make it curly) He purrs so much when I do this. I do it gently so I guess it feels like a mini massage.
Bella likes to be massaged behind the ears, but thats pretty much it.
Chewy LOVES his ears to be played with (tickled). I use one finger and make upward and circular motions like I was another pig "licking" his ears and he just starts to get a faraway look in his eyes and then he closes them like hes in a trance. He also flattens out and purrs when I scratch his back.
Sad to say, Betsy and Blitz dont like to be touched :( but that doesnt stop me from trying different things. One of these days I will get through to one of them. I am at least making a little progress with Betsy since she seems to enjoy for me to "lick" her ears with one of my fingers (which is what Chewy enjoys also).
I giggle everytime I hear any new sounds from them. They are SO adorable!
Gotta LOVE those pigs!!! :D

Shana

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 7:03 am

I have one pig who just doesn´t like to be pet either. She has been treated with ivermectin so I know it isn´t mites. Have you ever treated Betsy and Blitz with ivermectin? It´s a longshot, but sometimes they are actually uncomfortable because of parasites.

Cara

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:18 am

My four pool girls (They live in a kiddie swimming pool.) don´t like human contact. They are much happier left to themselves. They will tolerate being petted but it´s just not worth it most of the time! The rest of my pigs LOVE to have their jaw line massaged, turns them to putty.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:56 am

I tried the under chin petting and my pigs thought I was trying to give them a treat and kept nibbling my fingers. I don´t think they "get it"

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:04 am

I carry my boys like a football, LV. Julius is especially nervous and seems to prefer to be horizontal. But when I watch TV or am otherwise stable, they like to sit on my shoulder or crawl up to my chin.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:29 am

CUTE!! Furry little footballs.

Sunny

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:22 pm

I´ve been using the football hold. But I´m always afraid Fido (he´s the hyperactive one) will leap from my arms when I don´t have a grip on him. I feel more secure holding him against my chest. I think he likes the football hold, I just don´t trust him. Spot however, is no problem. Football hold is great for him -- Makes me feel like a quarterback (although my arms are almost too small to hold him securely, he kind of hangs over the sides... did I mention Spot was chubby? 3 lbs. as confirmed by the vet today).