Anything your pigs won´t eat?

Sunny

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:17 am

Is there anything your pigs just don´t like? Spot and Fido won´t eat zucchini. I assume it´s because the flavor is bland... however; they love cauliflower which is equally bland. Who knows. They also won´t eat the spicier veggies like chives and scallions.

Cara

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:22 am

Don´t feed your pigs scallions, they are part of the onion family and are toxic to them. They are smart in not eating them! Oscar is very picky and won´t eat tomato, canteloupe or pear. Most of them eat everything else with a few exceptions here and there.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:32 am

I think the thing about "bulbs" being toxic actually refers to things like flower bulbs (daffodils etc.) I don´t think they would much like onions but doubt they are poisonous or we wouldn´t be eating them ourselves. Might give pigs onion breath -- and I´m betting they wouldn´t be popular. I think the green tops are enjoyed by some pigs.

My pigs hate cabbage. It´s one of those things that some people claim can cause gas so I never really tried more than a leaf. But they won´t touch it.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:08 am

Not as fond of brussels sprouts as they are anything else. Julius isn´t as eager for orange juice/citrus as Steve is.

lisam

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:10 am

My pigs will eat some cabbage, not much. They don´t like basil. Most love dill but one turns up her nose. None will eat oranges.

I happen to have some zuchinni in the frig, I will try that today.

pigpal

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:15 pm

I have one who prefers fruit and bland veggies and one who won´t touch those and opts for stronger flavors like cilantro, mustard greens and arugula. Kind of like Jack Sprat and his missus, "so between the two of them they pick the platter clean"!

Peter

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:05 pm

My pigs like most of the "usual" stuff, carrots, parsley, romaine. That´s what they get most of the time. I bought this small bag of mixed lettuces and they just gobbled it up! I wish I knew what was in it! Some like water cress and cilantro, but I never tried cilantro again because I hate the smell of it! Swiss chard is another favorite.

I tried red cabbage a few days ago. Most liked it, except for one of my boys who wouldn´t even touch it.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:54 pm

My pigs will eat many things out of our herb garden: mint, basil, cilantro, rosemary. The only herb I´ve found they don´t seem to like is thyme.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:45 pm

Oranges. They like grapefruit, though. I´ve tried for years on the oranges. They just don´t like them. Not a one out of my 20. They will leave them in their cages untouched and use the cavy pouty face after tasting them!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2002 7:44 am

A cavy pouty face? I´d love to have that on film!

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2002 4:01 pm

There really isn´t anything that they won´t touch, but you can tell they are not too happy when I offer them oranges or cabbage. They will take a few bites and leave the rest.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2002 4:46 pm

I don´t think I´ve ever seen a "pouty face" either.
Last edited by RavenShade on Wed Feb 20, 2002 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.