Antibiotics and gas/soft poop + wet butt

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:32 am

Since Miss Pea started this latest round of antibiotics for her bumblefoot, her poop has been softer than usual (but not loose). That didn't concern me a whole lot since she's very prone to getting soft poops when she's stressed or getting used to something new. However, I've also noticed that she's had a bit of gas. As in, audible gas when I pick her up. I talked to Dr. E about this and she said I could try taking her off the antibiotics and see if it goes away, but I'm hesitant to do this since 1) she REALLY needs them, and 2) she's still eating fine and has no other concerning symptoms. I also feel like she'll adjust. Also, I should note that Dr. E was also okay with the "wait and watch carefully" course of action. Should I start her on some probiotics? Do you think that will help? I've cut out fruit completely for now. Should I cut back on veggies, too?

Oh, and one other concerning thing. Even though I've doubled how often I change out her fleece and now vac out poops multiple times a day, she STILL manages to keep a wet butt continuously. She lays in the same place (in her hay rack) almost all the time and pees/poops/sleeps there. Her butt is wet every time I take her out. I just gave her a butt bath the other day and now she's filthy again. I'm worried about both her hygeine and the risk of her catching a chill and getting a URI or something. I keep my house fairly warm, but it really can't be good for her. I'm nearly out of ideas on how to prevent this problem. I could switch her over to Carefresh, which would probably keep her a little dryer than the fleece, but it won't be as good for her feet. And honestly, I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make anyway.

Advice, suggestions? Please.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:36 pm

Hey, Chii,

What antibiotic is she on?

You may want to cut back a little on her veggies, but I wouldn't cut them out completely. Dr. E. can probably give you some Bene-Bac probiotic; use just a tiny, tiny bit of this. Most of them like the taste and will lick it off your finger.

Better would be poop soup from a healthy pig.

Ask Dr. E. about the chronically wet butt. I think that can be an indicator of potential urinary problems, but I'm not sure. I'd stick with the fleece, at least for right now. We've quit using CareFresh -- waaaaayyyyyyy too expensive; all they're selling now is the presspack which is a pain to handle, and the last few bags we ordered were damp, gritty, and smelly.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:43 pm

If she's gassy, you can administer simethicone (liquid infant drops). It's safe and effective.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:52 pm

swannie, what's dosing on the simethicone?

Linda, I'm not sure what to think about the wet butt. She's on antibiotics (TMS, same stuff as before), so I doubt it's a URI. No stones on the x-rays... I'll call Dr. E, I think.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:24 pm

Half the infant dose (so about .15ml) or more. I believe Chary said she was advised she could give 1ml twice a day. Smaller doses can be given more often.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:06 pm

I talked to Dr. E. She said I could give up to 0.3cc 2x daily. I got some, so we're going to try that...

Thanks!

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:32 pm

Oh, question. Dr. E seemed to think it wasn't uncommon for older, less active pigs to have the wet butt problem. She suggested that I get chinchilla dust and rub it into her fur to help keep it somewhat dryer and prevent the chances of her catching a chill. I trust Dr. E, but I wanted to ask here first to see if there's any reason I *shouldn't* do this...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:51 pm

I think bacteria are more likely than a chill. Often when they are snuggled in and just peeing, things are wet but their bodies keep it warm. At least that's my opinion.