Diarrhea + fit

Becky

Post   » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:14 pm

Or, Chunky, your guys with the great hands?

(OK, we'll stop now.)

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:15 pm

NSAIDs always have the potential to cause GI problems, even the newer ones like meloxicam. Excess vitamin C can also cause GI problems.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:41 pm

Thank you for the input. I don't think she's getting excess C -- I only supplement her with 25mg once per day.

Becky, when you say Meloxicam in suspension, do you mean liquid Meloxi? Will it make any difference if I used a compounded Mobic other than the Metacam?

I can use a massager on her stomach, but I have a feeling she's got stones in there and then I have to decide if it's too much to put her through another surgery.

I'll do some looking for a physiotherapist, but I think it is probably beyond my budget. She likes massages. If I pet her on her back she first starts whining but then when I start massaging it lightly she closes her eyes and grits her teeth. She would bite me if she didn't like it.

CP, do you think I could add C to the SQ? Because I don't want to give her more than one injection per day as it frightens and hurts her.

I'll stop the Bactrim for now. Let me know about the Mobic if anyone knows. It's a generic of Meloxicam compounded in fruity stuff.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:25 pm

I have seen Vit B and C mixed in with LRS, yes. Best to double check with one of the other tech people. Moose had B and C added to his SQs at AMG.

Becky

Post   » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:58 pm

I've used the injectable metacam for Chippy. No GI problems. Now, however, my vet is Rx'ing metacam in suspension (the liquid element to which they add the tablet-form of the drug). Not sure what Mobic is.

Even with stones, the massage will help keep the stones/sludge from abrading the bladder wall. If you have the equipment, it's certainly worth a try.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:44 pm

Ok, but Pigglies is going to have to give up her "massager," then. I shall try that on Scratchy too.

I see that I have it mixed up: Mobic is the brand. So it is Meloxicam. And I assume if it is compounded that means it's in suspension. *sigh*

Two questions then: with the injectable route, it misses the G.I. tract, but:

1) Does it still have a negative impact on the liver?

2) Is there the same problem as repeated injection of Baytril -- is it muscle damage?

Becky

Post   » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:45 am

It's administered under the skin, if that's your concern about muscle involvement.

I'm not sure about the liver aspect.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:38 pm

I'm worried about Meg. She's been on metacam for what the vet thinks is arthritis in her back. There's some stiffness in her walk and she flinches when I touch her hip/lower back area. Now she has started biting at her feet and I know this could mean that her feet are numb -- I wonder if she has a slipped disk.

I give her little massages and just started putting a heating pad across her lower back. I increased her metacam to 2 x daily. And tonight I will start giving her glucosamine chondroitin in her meds.

Anything else I can do? I don't want her to tear her feet apart. So far she has done nothing but barber the hair to where she looks moth-eaten but I keep finding her nibbling at her back legs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:37 pm

Feet can certainly be wrapped. I had to wrap Nina's to keep her from chewing the skin off the top of her bad foot. Gauze then Vetwrap, pinned with 1/2" non-stretchy tape.

pinta

Post   » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:58 pm

An xray would be a good idea to see if anything has changed.

My pigs seem to respond better to Rimadyl then to Metacam.

If there's an animal physiotherapist in your area, it would be worth seeing him/her.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:21 pm

Ok I scheduled an x ray and will try Rimadyl, which I already have. Still looking into an animal phys.

I'm wondering about nutritional deficiencies. She wasn't responding well to the special diet (low Ca:Ph and low Oxalate because she produces both Ca Carbonate and Oxalate stones) -- she started having hair loss so I added 25 mg of C daily and that brought back the hair.

But could she now have a calcium deficiency because of the diet? Should I try supplementing with Ca Lactate? And what would be the dosage on that?

*edit: I found the dosage on the meds page. So I guess my question is, would Ca Lactate contribute to the formation of Carbonate or Oxalate stones? My dilemma here is that she may continue to develop these stones no matter what (she has had 3 stone surgeries) because she has one malfunctioning kidney. The stones the vet can remove. But debilitating arthritis from bone loss isn't something that we can correct with surgery.

Becky

Post   » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:33 pm

From what I've read, it isn't really the amount of calcium. It's whether or not the calcium is being absorbed properly. If not, it can become "fodder" for stones.

Oxalates prevent the absorption of calcium. In my HO, I'd tackle that part first and not worry about how much calcium she's getting.

Next, I'd look at the Ca:Ph ratio, since too much phospherous also can prevent absorption. Magnesium plays a role, too, but I'll need a whole lot more time before I can add that to the mix.

The polycitra should help with the binding action of the calcium, so I'd continue that. Also, hydrate. With just one functioning kidney, that's going to be essential. I know she doesn't like subq's, so at the very least, make sure her veggies are totally soaked in water.

I really don't know about the supplements and their effect on stone formation. It's always better for them to get their calcium in food (same with humans, btw). Again, it's mostly a matter of how efficiently she'll absorb the calcium.

And, yes, it's entirely possible she'll continue to develop stones. One kidney makes all of this very difficult for your Meg.

Thinking very good thoughts for her and you.