First Angel...now it's Elsie..crying when peeing.!

Becky

Post   » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:10 am

GPL her weight fluxuates, but generally is around 1000gm. Her dosage is 0.2ml and the concentration is 1.5mg/ml. When Buttercup had her surgery, her dosage was 0.25ml. Her weight is around 1200gm.

DT, I don't keep Chippy on the metacam all the time. I only give it to her if she has pain. For the most part, I give it to her for one or two days, and she stops crying; sometimes only one day.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:42 am

Becky, I didn't see any thread about Chippy in the Reference and First Hand accounts forum. Would it be possible for you to post a history of Chippy and how you got to where you're at now, including the dosage you just posted here? I would appreciate that!

My vet wants me to send him info from here but I don't want to print out this thread.

Thanks!

Becky

Post   » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:21 pm

Sure. How soon do you need it?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:24 pm

By Thursday a.m., preferably Wednesday. My vet said to send him whatever I could find so I'd like to do that before the culture is done.

Thanks!

Becky

Post   » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:27 pm

No problem.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:31 pm

Thanks! You're the best!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:28 am

Becky - any chance you'll be getting to it today? I think the vet's office will call at the end of the day today. If not, can you just post what dosage you give to Chippy? Do you give it every day? You feel it relieves the pain?

Becky

Post   » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:39 am

I was just working on it. Had to go to a PTA meeting.

I don't give the metacam daily--only when she's crying or straining. Then I give it twice daily. I've never had to give it more than two days.

Her dose is 0.2ml twice a day as needed. It's the same formulation you have--1.5mg/ml.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:31 am

Thanks Becky. I'll be faxing it to my vet today. He mentioned trying a steroid on Angel. I'll have to wait until they call with the test results and see what he wants me to do.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:59 pm

Update: Angel's follow up urine culture (via cystocentisis) turned out to be negative again. Dr. S. sent it out somewhere for a second opinion. Today his office called and left a message that he wants to try her on cortisone and an antibiotic. So, I'll be getting that Monday.

Does anybody know what the cortisone might be? Is is just called that or something else? Has anyone ever tried it for inflammation?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:34 pm

I don't remember Josephine mentioning its use. I think in one post Chary got a cortisone injection for a pig. I couldn't find out much about it (the cream will thin out the skin, I don't think this applies to shots).

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:39 pm

I was just reading about steroids, which I believe cortisone to be, in the online Merck Veterinary Manual. It sounds a bit scary. I hope she does okay with it. I did read it should be used with an antibiotic in her case because I think it interferes with the immune system or something like that?