help please new owner here

eebcb

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:18 am

Hi there my name is emily, and i just boutght a long haired ginuea-pig, and i was wondering about osme stuff, like, one ear is light pink sometimes and then it gts really red but it doesnt seem to bither him at all? and i was wondering what the sounds he makes means, if u know, or if u knwo of any good web pages to hel me out here? and one more thing, do they have sleep in there eyes from sleeping or is that crust? hwo do u i tell the diffrence to tell wether they are sick or not, thanks, responses more than welcome here for the new owner,

pinta

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:45 am

Read thru the Emergency medical Guide for signs of sickness.

http://guinealynx.info/guinealynx/emergencymedicalguide.html

The sleep in his eyes could be the sign of an upper respiratory infection. It´s always a good idea to take a new pig to a cavy knowledgable vet for a check-up. If he is sick, save the receipts and ask the pet store to reimburse you.

Alfie

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 1:21 am

Lethargy/inactivity, weight loss, and loss of appetite are the other main tell-tale signs of illness.

Guinea pigs hide signs of sickness so if your pig stops eating or seems listless, have him checked out ASAP by a vet who knows about cavies.

pigpal

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 7:42 pm

The reason your pig´s pink ear sometimes turns a deeper pink or even red is most likely due to a method of cooling the body known as vasodilation. When a pig gets hot one of the ways it cools down is by increasing the flow of blood to the surface of the skin. Because the ears are thin and have many blood vessels, you can see this taking place.

Jill

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2002 8:15 am

Pigpal, would the ears feel warmer while this is taking place?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2002 10:12 am

Yes.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1