Utah - 21 pigs need homes!

Herbie

Post   » Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:33 pm

Oh she is precious! I can only tell you that this started with Herbie out of nowhere. Three different vets, Ivermectin for months, and the seizures got better and less frequent. But never went away. He was having seizures at 4:15 AM, luckily I´m up then. We spent a fortune on vet bills trying to solve this. Skin scrapings, cultures, everything. I even bought my own Ivermectin at $120.00, and they gave me the cherry imulsion to mix it with. Dr Quesenberry is the guinea pig expert in the country. She does seminars for the Exotic Vets. She luckily sees patients now in Westchester, and I took Herbie and the Weebles (they have congenital head tilts) to see her. $125.00 per exam. She gave Herb a shot of Ivermectin, with the prescription for two oral follow up doses 10 days later. Another liqued med for 20 days - a form of Benedryl to stop his itching internaly, and the lymdyp.

Within a week of his first treatment, the seizures were less. After the second they were less, and the third they were gone. He still had the fourth dyp, and when he started to scratch a month later, he got another dyp.

I called Dr Quesenberry, and gave her the results. She was happy, and so were we. She said lots of vets/people don´t use the dyp because it stinks like sulphur. It does and even Herbie hated the smell - but it works!

The other problem is, the seizures weekend the immune system over time. That´s why I think Herb was more affected by the move than anyone else. And it was sad because we weren´t able to save him. He was one special little Love Bug, and I still miss his little smile every morning.

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:05 pm

Hey missy D.

Nice to finally see you around here, how are the furry kids??

leebee

Post   » Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:37 pm

Hey Sunny, if she´s not getting better and you want to try it, I´ll send you the lym-dyp.

I bought it as a "try and see" type of thing for my teddy´s dry skin but it didn´t work.

Sunny

Post   » Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:34 pm

Thanks leebee and Donna - anything to see her healing speed up.

She does seem to be getting better. She´s a good little eater and takes her meds really well (she´s on an antibiotic for a URI).

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:46 pm

Lym-dyp was used to "treat" mites before Ivermectin became avalable. I have never read anything that lead me to believe it was effective, but if it helped Herbie´s pig, that´s good.

leebee

Post   » Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:29 pm

Yeah, it didn´t do much for me, but Riley wasn´t seizing, and he´d been treated for mites. Just dry, very flaky skin. Like I said, it was a try it and see type of thing. The moisturizing nizoral worked better for him.

I am very glad that it worked for Herbie and improved his quality of life, though and if it would work for Scruffy, I´d be more than willing to donate it to the cause. I just wanted Sunny to know I´d give it to her, rather than have her buy it.

Herbie

Post   » Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:20 am

The rest of mine is packed to go to Puerto Rico, or I´d send it to her. They use it at the Sato rescue for the dogs. A lot of my leftover meds are being sent there, along with leashes, collars, and whatever else I can come up with.

Hey Miss Karen, when you get a chance e-mail me, tell me how all the kids are doing! The puppy is doing wonderful! She loves the piglets and the chin! Erich cleaned cages for me the other day, and he had to hold each pig for her so she could kiss it! LOL.........

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:54 pm

Herbie, will do, I'll send an email soon.

Sunny, I know that this worked for Herbie, it's definitely worth a shot. Dr. Q. is a great exotics vet, my own vet here in BC, Canada has phoned her in New York for advice.

Missy1

Post   » Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:33 am

Oh gosh!! I would love to adopt one or 2 of these piggies! I live in Colorado though so I don't know how feasible that would be...

I have 4 right now - 2 males and 2 females. 1 female is an American red, the 2 boys are also American but they are white, black and red, and the other female is a red Abby. All of them are so sweet!

I started with 1 in July and as is the norm by the end of July I had 3 more! I am sooo addicted to them! I would LOVE to be a foster mommy too.

I really would have to do some major begging and pleading with my husband. He told me after we got the last 2 that we weren't going to get more, but he has really fallen in love with them (no surprise there! :) ) so I may be able to convince him!!

Sunny

Post   » Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:36 pm

I wish you were here too Missy1 - we have an overabundance of homeless pigs in Utah right now and are in need of foster homes.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:34 am

Is it time for another piggy railroad?

Sunny

Post   » Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:35 pm

I don't think so E. We're at 22 pigs now and all the mommas have had their babies; so hopefully that's it for a while. I need to update websites and post more flyers. Problem is my lack of time... so adoptions are not moving as quickly as I'd hoped.