Ringworm? Need help!

cea2001

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2002 6:20 am

My new rescue pig, Jet, has a large bald spot on his hindquarters, quite low down (not his grease gland). It´s about an inch in diameter and looks like a bit like a healing cut or bite. The skin in the middle is red and ´new´ looking. It didn´t appear to be painful for him when I bathed it in warm salt water. Could this be ringworm? I´ve having a bit of trouble trying to open the Emergency Medical Guide so can´t look up the symptoms at the moment.

He was living on his own in a wire cage (before I got him) and he´s in quarantine at the moment. Otherwise, he seems fine and healthy, eating well and running around.

I´m wondering if something could have taken a chomp out of him at his old home (I´ve only had him for about a week) or whether he has a fungal infection. This is the only bald spot on him. Any advice would be very gratefully received.

pinta

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2002 6:33 am

Since you have other pigs and ringworm is very contagious. I would have a vet get a culture done. It will take 10 days to grow so he´ll still be in quarantine.

It could be a wound but you are better off getting a diagnosis before putting him near your other pigs. Make sure you wash up thoroughly after handling him.

In the meantime do a search on Ringworm here. There are topical preparations you can try while waiting for diagnosis that won´t hurt him. They are mentioned in previous threads. Nizoral?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2002 8:02 am

I trust you will have been able to read the Guinea Lynx info by now. Always a chance mites are involved too. One way to cover all bases is to first give a bath using Nizoral shampoo then treat with ivermectin.

cea2001

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:04 am

Thanks for your help - I have bought the Nizoral shampoo today and will shampoo Jet and disinfect his cage. I´m planning a vet visit for him anyway in a couple of days, for general health check and to get some ivermectin, so I´ll ask for a culture to be done.

Thank God for quarantine! I have 7 other pigs and more on the way - imagine having to shampoo them all, not to mention treat myself!

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:26 am

And you didn´t even mention Ivermectin. 7 pigs X 3 shots per pig X 10$ a shot. That´s 210$ without the visit fees. Yikes! Yes, thank God for Ivermectin.

cea2001

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 4:59 am

Quick update - shampooed Jet today. The bald spot has lost some of the redness. I´m actually inclined to believe that it IS a healing cut but I´m not taking any chances! I disinfected his cage and all the things in it too.

Never believe that guinea pigs can´t jump. Jet jumped out of the sink! The walls of the sink are over a foot high! Luckily he jumped into me and I caught him. He´s looking very shiny now after his shampoo, so he should be as the Nizoral bottle says "with deep conditioning"!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:10 am

I noticed a whole lotta butt sniffing after I gave Nina her shampoo. That lovely new exotic fragrance will befuddle her mates.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:10 pm

Please have him treated with Ivermectin, too. In the case of a mites infestation, a bath will often sooth the skin, but the mites are still there.

This poor little pig is lucky you found him.

cea2001

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:43 pm

Don´t worry, E, I was planning to ivermectin him this week and give him a spray for lice too. Covering all bases! And thanks for the nice words. He´s a lovely pig - I´m glad I was able to give him a home.