Now George is peeing blood.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:15 pm

Oh, I won't be sleeping well tonight, no question about it.

She didn't mess with them last time because her incision was so small--I guess they were hard to get to. Now they extend further up her abdomen, and the loops are easy to grab, I guess.

I'm hoping it's because she's in pain, and that if we can control the pain (see Meloxicam dosing question above), that will help things.

I guess I'll bring her in tomorrow. I hope I can get some work done, though! Lots of stuff overdue. Sigh.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:21 pm

Wow. Nice camera. She looks great, Swannie. Really.

One thing you should know about sutures is that there are two layers of them. So if she happens to rip open the outer layer, don't worry that she is going to start pouring out blood as the inner layer is going to keep her together. However, its not good that she is doing that since you don't want to have the incision not heal quickly. Its wierd, though. It eventually closes up on its own anyway. I had one piggy take them out except for one, and she eventually healed. BUT.. she did wait for a day before doing that.

I think they make a soft e-collar now. I wonder if you put two scrunchies around her neck (or where the neck is supposed to be if they had one!)... maybe that would mimic one of those collars. Heck, take a tube sock and cut it into circles 1 or 2 inches wide and stick them on her neck. She'll hate it, but it might work.

I don't think she is doing it because she is in pain. She doesn't look like she is having any pain at all. She is eating in the one pic. And her eyes are bright and clear. She's just annoyed by the things being there. They are bugging her, probably.

Judi
Last edited by JudiL-MetroGPRescue on Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:21 pm

Good luck with George. I don't remember what salana did with Suzi-the-worst-patient-ever, who did quite a bit of chewing. That stone looks mighty painful. Poor sweetie.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:30 pm

She finally settled down into a lying down position. But it's weird, her ears keep twitching.

Judi, I think she is in pain because of the way she's chewing everything. Even the eating--it's different than normal. Lots of little bites, not the normal inhaling that she normally does. And she's started to chew the paper towels lining the towels on the bottom of the cage.

And I know that the inner sutures/glue is holding stuff together, but you're right--it can't be good to be tugging at them.

I can't believe how worried I get. What will it be like when I have kids?!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:35 pm

You know, it is some ways worse and some ways better. At least kids can tell you stuff, once they get a bit older. And barring a really serious illness, they are more robust than a pig.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:37 pm

Yeah, just don't have a kid like me and you should be fine. :-D

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:37 pm

"Aww, Sprout, you'll be fine. Remember, you're more robust than a pig!"

Thank you for the amusing mental image. ;)

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:38 pm

I think tomorrow night we'll put her and Evil in a small enclosure to see if that cheers her up. Shame Florence isn't still around. She was such a good poop nanny last time. :(

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:50 pm

Suzi had her incision glued back together (didn't work) and a sock sweater (she stepped right out of it) and then they had to redo the stitches so they were mostly under the skin.

Of course, then she had the suture reactions later and the incision wouldn't completely heal until all the non-dissolving bits of suture were removed...

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:59 pm

I wonder if one of the stitches is perhaps tight and that's what's bothering her. She'll probably calm down eventually when the Metacam kicks in I would think.

Perhaps you could drape a towel over her and then pick her up and wrap her in it for meds. I wonder if you put a little warm water compress on the incision if it would soothe it for her?

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:17 pm

Swannie, I hope all goes well, and you don't have any trouble with the stitches. that was quite a stone they removed.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:22 pm

The medicine must have kicked in. I just had her out for Reglan and also got some more Critcal Care into her. As if to thank me, she left one perfect poop in the towel. :)

Just changed her towel/paper towels for the night and she looks a little more comfy. Going to post the X-rays and a picture of her incision shortly.

Carol, that reminds me I didn't get the ThermaCare patches (or a Snuggle Safe). I'll do that tomorrow--I'm sure a little warmth would soothe her.

Thanks again for all the good wishes!

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:43 pm

Well, I am convinced Steve has healing hands.

On a regular day, he can rub George in just the right way and she goes all flat and relaxed and sticks her leg out and usually yawns. We call this "sausaging."

So she's settling back in her clean cage, and she's laying down a bit, so I pat her a little. No real response. Steve lays two fingers on her, and the next thing I know, the leg is out and she's flat as a pancake!

Here are the X-rays (not very good scans) and her incision:

(You can see she got that top stitch a little loose.)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:44 pm

It's an ackward place to try to protect. Generally you want the area exposed to air but it's possible to put on gauze and vetwrap to prevent her from getting at it (if one could figure out how on earth to do it).

Your pics are great, Swannie.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:23 am

Well, we had poops this morning, and pee, but only 2 sutures left. And she must have eaten them, because they're not in the cage. At least they're just string.

Her incision still looks decent, though the surface skin is just a little looser in the center where there's a suture missing. I'll call the vet today and see if Steve should bring her back in at all (I forgot that he has no classes beacuse of Veteran's Day). So I won't need to bring her to work with me after all. She's eating on her own, and I got 10ccs or so of Critical Care into her this morning without *too* much of a fight.

So does anyone have any thoughts about dividing up the Meloxicam dose? Also, I gave her a dose of Reglan last night and this morning, and she definitely has poops, but they're a little soft (probably a combination of the stress on her GI tract from surgery and the AB, though the AB never gave her soft poops before). I guess I'll hold off on the next dose of Reglan unless she has a poop-free day.

Anyway, I'm exhausted from waking up every hour to check on her and then waking up earlier than normal to feed her, and now I have to get ready for work. Why couldn't *I* have the day off??

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:36 am

If she's eating on her own and pooping and peeing you may want to consider holding off on any more meds. It sounds like she may not need any of them.

If you do give her the Metacam I'm not sure why you would want to split the dose? I've always given it per the vet's instruction. Elsie is 2lbs, 14oz and she just got some from Dr. Schott. Her dose is .3mg once per day.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:37 am

Oh, by the way, I once brought Angel there because her stitches came out and her skin opened up. It cost me $211 to have Dr. Powell put her under, flush and restitch her. I hope that doesn't happen to George. Does the skin look like it may pull apart?

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:37 am

It looked pretty much the same this morning (i.e. not gaping and open), though you could tell just the surface flaps near the center of the incision were a little more separated than they had been yesterday. I called Dr. Pam and she said that the subcutaneou sutures and surgical clue would probably hold things together, but
Steve has been instructed to keep an eye on it today, and if there's any doubt about what kind of shape it's in, to bring her in. So far, there's no redness, oozing, or swelling. Fingers crossed...

I just thought splitting the Meloxicam dose might give her two periods of relief instead of just one. She is definitely still in pain. I'm going to discontinue the Reglan unless otherwise indicated, but will continue to administer the AB and Meloxicam.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:41 am

How wonderful that Steve can lay his "healing hands" on George all day. Good luck with the girl. I hope she leaves her belly along!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:45 pm

In our experience Metacam can take quite a while (over an hour) to kick in. For our dental pig we have split the dose, and upped the dose, either or both, for a day or two. Our vet instructs us to use caution because the NSAID is of course a GI irritant, but with care we have gone to .15 mg in the AM and .25 at night (again, for short periods of time). The split dose and little bit extra has seemed to really help him when he needs it.

401 posts