Now George is peeing blood.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:17 pm

Well, we'll see what it looks like in the morning and go from there. If it's going to be a problem, though, I'd want it sorted out before the weekend. Anyway.

Since putting another pig on Poop Patrol seemed to help George, erm, "let loose" last time around, we set up a floortime enclosure with the usual amenities (hay, wheatgrass, stool) and put her and Evil Pig together. Which, of course, set George off to reassert her dominance, so we promptly removed Evil Pig and just let George have a little bit of a stroll around. And of course, she produced some nice poops.

Then she sat under the stool looking proud of herself.

So while she was in there, I changed the towel and paper towels in her little cage, and added a microwaveable heating pad that I got today. It was just warm through the towels. Now, I don't know if this was the painkiller kicking in, or her being tired from her floortime experience, or exhaustion from trying in vain to pull out that last suture, but I put her back in and she promptly stretched out and went to sleep! Now we know where Jubilee gets his Dead At the Wheel sleep look from:

The next thing I knew, she kicked both legs out and was in full sprawl!

If there's any question about the incision in the morning, Steve will bring her in to have it looked out. Carol, when you had to have your pig (I forget now which it was!) re-stitched, how long was she at the vet? We're just trying to figure out logistics since Steve would have to get here there, possibly kill time, then come back here, then get her settled, then leave her unsupervised (with fresh stitches) while he comes to pick me up from work and take me out to dinner for our anniversary! But if it doesn't take too long, it might be okay.

pigbert

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:27 pm

Aww, full sprawl. :)
I hope George is okay, and happy aniversary!

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:57 pm

I have had some piggies with MUCH worse-looking incision sites. They heal on their own.. they really do.

She seems to look great. I want to know what kind of camera you have. :-) Its really nice.. takes great pictures.

What a cute girl. She's pooping really well. Do you still have to force feed her?

Judi

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:08 pm

It's a Leica Digilux 4.3. Thanks for the compliments! The macro mode is especially good.

I did feed her about 6ccs of Critical Care tonight, and she took them pretty willingly (ditto her meds). Not too much resistance. She seemed hungry for it, really. I just want to make sure she's getting some extra fiber going through her, but she is eating pretty well on her own.

Becky

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:22 pm

That incision looks OK to me. Buttercup had surgery for mammary tumors and a hematoma completely tore open her skin at the incision site.

We left it alone (per vet's instructions after checking it) and it healed very nicely.

I think as long as you don't suspect an infection, just keep an eye on it.

She looks better in today's pictures, I think, than yesterdays. Yesterday's look like she was in pain.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:36 pm

Thanks for all the incision critiques. ;)

We'll keep a close eye on it for signs of infection then. She definitely seems more herself today. At the moment she is tucking into her usual portion of veggies with gusto. Steve says she's much perkier than she was post-surgery last time, and I think he's right.

Anyway, here's the pic of Jubilee in Dead at the Wheel sleep mode, for comparison. He really does take after his mother! ;)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:39 pm

Since youu're showing pics, here's the one that sent me off to the vet, worried she was coming apart. He claimed she was granulating fine and it did heal okay.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:05 am

Yes, even that looks good enough, Lynx. I find it incredible what seems horrible but ends up healing well.

That is a NICE CAMERA, Swannie. Jubilee is really cute. I love those prawn positions!

Judi

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:37 am

Dr. Powell stitched Angel up but it ended up being an emergency visit on a Sunday. So, I had to leave her there for about 3hrs.

I must say that Angel's incision completely opened up so George's looks much better right now. Perhaps if you just keep her bedded on towels and don't handle her too much, keeping her movement restricted, the incision will remain intact and not pull apart.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:54 pm

I need a George update...how's she doing?

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:42 pm

George is much better today. No chewing, no big signs of discomfort, and she's eating, peeing, and pooping like normal. And she's back to her sociable self.

Of course, maybe she's just relieved that SHE GOT THAT LAST DARNED SUTURE OUT! It was gone when I checked her this morning. So I bring you tonight's installment of Check Out That Incision And Let Me Know If It Still Looks Okay!

Edit: Looking at them again, I can see a little bit of subcutaneous suture poking out from that biggest gap in the middle. Not sure if that in and of itself is problematic. There's no ooze/discharge/redness/swelling at all (the lumps are just where her flaps of skin were pulled up to stitch them together).

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:47 pm

Cuddles's body pushed out a long string of subcutaneous suture as she healed.