Scabs on ears

summer

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2002 9:23 pm

We got a new guinea pig a few weeks ago and she had some scabs on one ear. Since then they appear to have gotten worse. They are on the outside edge of the ear on both sides. They are dry not wet. Is there anything I can put on the ear or should I take her to the vet?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2002 9:45 pm

I think in dogs there is some sort of mite that works on the edges of ears. I also seem to remember Pinta saying something about poor blood circulation and the edges of the ears darkening as an indicator of potential heart problems. I am almost beginning to feel ashamed of always recommending ivermectin. But if it is any type of parasite, it would help. Can´t remember offhand what you could use on the injury -- perhaps Neosporin. Watch for infection. The vet might have some other ideas.
Last edited by Lynx on Fri Feb 22, 2002 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinta

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:49 pm

With circulation problems, there isn´t scabbing really. In the case I had the tips of the ear turned darker and darker until they went black(skin dying off) and "dropped" off.

A fungal infection is always a possibility.

lisam

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:40 pm

When I had one of my pigs in a carrier cage, she somehow ripped one of her ears. The scab seemed to grow every day, to get huge. It looked terrible, but I could tell there was no infection, and I refrained from pulling it off. It finally fell off on it´s own, with a little piece of her ear, but had healed very nicely.