Roosevelt, to be remembered 11/15/2003

christina

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:19 pm

It has been one year since you left us, and we think of you everyday. You were such a joy when you came to live with us on November 19, 2002. We had called the local rescue to see if there were any female piggies needing a home, because we had a lonely neutered boy needing a friend. Your last family had just surrendered you, though I can’t imagine how anyone in the world could have ever given you up. Your family told the rescue that you were a 9 month-old girl named Rosie-they put you in a small pink petstore cage to match. You had the most beautiful ruby eyes and a wild fur fin.

We had quite the laugh once we got you home. You were a BOY! You liked your name, so we kept it. We just made your formal name Roosevelt. Luckily you got on quite well with your new male cagemate. We would always find you trying to cuddle as closely as you could with him. He didn’t know quite what to make of you, but he was patient in tolerating your need to be close to him. You had such an outgoing personality. You wheeked so happily, and always wanted to be picked up and cuddled. You were never scared of “the hand.” Sleeping on our laps was a special time for you.

It was so hard on us when you fell ill just a month later on Christmas Day. It took awhile to figure out what was troubling you. You had developed malocclusion, but it didn’t seem to explain your continued poor appetite. Eventually we discovered your kidneys weren’t functioning well and that it would only get worse. The vets couldn’t predict how much longer you would have with us, but we hoped for many more years.

We tried to get you to eat, but many times you did not feel well. You became very accustomed to the Critical Care feedings, and seemed to actually enjoy those times because we were holding you and loving you all the time. At times you would like to eat large amounts of just one food. For days you smelled of green peppers, so we nicknamed you “pepper belly.” More than anything you loved Organic Baby Spinach & Carrot baby food. You would accept no substitute. It could be hard to find, and the usual stores that carried it would often run out. It wouldn’t be unusual for us to be driving around in the middle of the night to find more for you. When we did find it, we bought so many jars the cashiers would give us strange looks.

You were a very brave and patient spirit. You endured so much in your short time here on earth. You traveled so well in the car to all your appointments, and never bit any of those hands that gave you fluids and medications. You were forever playful, and enjoyed playing peek-a-boo with us. You would hide under the towel, and we would call your name. You always came to the correct edge of the towel and would be excited to see us. We would give you a kiss and a scratch, and you would disappear for another try.

It was devastating when you developed a URI in your final weeks. Eventually you became weaker and thinner and we could not get any weight back on you. You didn’t want to eat much of anything on your own anymore. It was only very strange and unusual things that could get your interest. The last thing you seemed to enjoy was cherries and cherry pie filling. Not exactly the best food for a piggie, but we would let you try anything you wanted in those last days.

It didn’t help that you couldn’t tolerate antibiotics. We just couldn’t get that URI to go away. It was a hard decision to make, but we decided to make an appointment to have you put to sleep to end your suffering. We knew you wouldn’t be able to recover and wanted you to have peace once again. You had been stable for the previous week, but just not improving. We whispered in your ear that night what our plans would be for the next day and got you settled into your cage for a few hours.

We were sadly surprised when we picked you back up from your cage a few hours later--you were already on your journey to Rainbow Bridge. You could not command the use of your legs and seemed very delirious. I wrapped you in a towel and cuddled you close to my chest. You seemed to regain your senses a few moments and tried to scurry your way up to my neck where you always loved to cuddle. I held you tight as you took those last few breaths and finished your journey.

We know you are waiting for us at the bridge. We all miss you so much and can’t wait to be with you again. You were with us just a few days short of a year, but you left an impression on our hearts forever.

We will forever miss you.

Roosevelt
11/15/2003

tcarey
The Zen of Pigs

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:05 pm

What a beautiful and loving testament to your friend and companion Roosevelt. My thoughts are with you as you remember him today.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:23 pm

I wish I'd known him. Roosevelt sounds like he was a remarkable pig. I'm glad he was part of your lives and only wish, like you do, that it had been longer.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:31 pm

Remembering you today, Roosevelt, and always. Your time here was too short. Your impression, and your spirit, are forever.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:33 pm

='-(

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:51 pm

That story broke my heart. What a wonderful piggie and a wonderful testament. You will always love Roosevelt.

AngerProblem

Post   » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:41 pm

God...you guys being me to tears with the way you tell these stories. I'm sorry for your loss. ='(

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:30 pm

What a wonderful life he had.

christina

Post   » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:45 pm

It has now been 2 years since you've left us and we still miss you every day. You are always in our hearts and thoughts. This past year also included the death of your old friend Hobie. Though very difficult for us, we know you two are together again, vibrant with good health and eating all the hay and veggies your tummies can hold.

This past year our family changed again in another way--we had our first non-piggie "child"- a newborn son came to be with us on August 4th, 2005. He is named Sage Roosevelt, in remembrance of your wise and wonderous spirit.

With loving memories in our hearts we remember you today.

Your family-

James, Christina, Sage Roosevelt, Fuzzybear, Pineapple, and Pixie

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:42 pm

Hard to believe it's been two years. How wonderful to have a new child with whom you can share your world of loved pets.

christina

Post   » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:28 am

It has been 3 long years since you left us, but we will keep you in our hearts forever.

This past year has seen the passing of another one of your old friends--our sweet girl Pineapple. We know you are in loving company.

We love and miss you,

Your family--

James, Christina, Sage Roosevelt, Fuzzybear, and Pixie

gpfriend

Post   » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:25 am

God Bless.