Are we pregnant?

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:10 pm

Thank you Kleenmama for your moving post.

I understand mistakes. I´ve made plenty myself.

It´s people who learn from them and make a change whom I greatly respect.

Thank you for your honesty. I´m sure that post was difficult for you to write. You truly care about the pigs.

Talk is cheap. It´s the actions that truly reveal where the heart lies .
Last edited by Julian on Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Becky

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:54 pm

Kleenmama, you are a very special person.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:20 am

Just came new to this thread, checking up on pregnancy in case Stitch came that way (Man, I could (insert threat here) PetCo right now)... And I saw the Fate cat/Fate dog links.
I cried seeing that. And I LIVE in Atlanta.

Xan wants to get married, go live in utah on some acreage, and adopt every homeless animal we can find.

Sounds like a plan to me.

piggielover

Post   » Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:49 pm

Wow,
You would be so lucky to be able to adopt homeless pets when ever you wanted to and not be limited for space. That would be my dream. I too feel so awful when I read about all of the abandoned homeless animals.
Good luck~

pigpal

Post   » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:17 pm

piggielover, I think all of us have a space + time + money equation that adds up to not being able to do as much as we would like to in helping animals. Even the largest rescues wish they could do more.

I think it's important to remember that nobody can help ALL the homeless animals, but if everybody does just a little, we all can be a part of the solution. Even more important is not to contribute to the problem!

PintaloMcBEAN

Post   » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:45 am

After watching that Dog/Cat Fate thing i found myself enraged, but maybe not for the reason everyone thinks, in California where I live.... animals are not to be buried, in fact it's illegal, it's toxic to the ground, other animals, and it's almost never done right, all of our animals, even the ones brought to the humane societies, if put down, or dies naturally, is to be cremated, through a company, that only cremates animals, the ashes are then spread.

You may now be finding your self asking, how the hell would I know, I work for a vet clinic, and our 80 dollar euthanasia fee, includes, "aftercare" even the local humane society follows these rules, they are the ones who tell us not to let people bury their animals unless in a pet cemetery [which btw is very expensive] just some peace of mind, for those no longer with us.

I personally believe ALL states should do this, it's much more sanitary, and respectful.

I know it seems strange for me to be so up in arms about this, but because of where I work, I've developed a VERY strong respect for deceased animals, and their owners.

A Side Note: almost every animals after passing is put into some short of bag, and put into a freezer, it's to insure each animal is kept separately and the integrity of the animal is NOT compromised.

lisam

Post   » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:39 am

It's very odd that you dug up this 4 year old thread and responded to it. How on earth did you find it?

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:32 pm

And not sure what you mean by in CA - there are pet cemetaries. And shelters don't spread the ashes after cremating them. That would be too much expense and work. As mentioned, the bodies are tossed in dumpsters out back and sold to rendering plants.

Wheekers3

Post   » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:47 pm

Yep, there are rendering plants here. They make their rounds of Vets freezers on a monthly basis. There are crematoriums as well, but it is an offered option. Many animals are allowed to be brought back home and buried.

County to county it may vary.

Freaky that this post was dug up.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:18 pm

KM's post is so heartfelt and gut-wrenching, maybe it should be referenced or copied into the "breeding" section. I read it years ago, and came across it again today, and I could just about cry each time I read it. Who knows, maybe someone out there will think twice before intentionally breeding. There will always be some people who will never get it, but it is something everyone should read at least once.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:33 pm

It is (I'm pretty sure). It should be on this page:
www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:22 pm

KM's post was fantastic! It is so much more than just losing them during pregnancy and birth.

Reba came from critterluv, who pulled her and her sisters from a "backyard breeder". She is two years old and I have spent the last two weeks basically watching her die, because in all honesty there is only a very slim chance that she will make it thru this (her thread is on here for those interested). Even if she does live, her health will never be very good. The vet's reasoning as to why this young pig is so unhealthy? Bad breeding. The vet said that if her age had not been verified then she would have placed her at being 5 or 6 instead of 2.