Strange growth coming out of Elsie´s foot

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 10:22 am

Can anyone tell me what this is growing out the side of Elsie´s foot? It is very hard and looks almost like a nail but growing up in the opposite direction. It doesn´t seem to bother her but it looks awful and I would imagine it would hurt if it gets caught on something. I feel bad that I just noticed it last night!

Jill

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 11:06 am

Simone has something similar on her foot. I was told it is a spur, and that it can be clipped off. In fact, I did just that last night and other than not liking to be fussed with, I don´t think she felt a thing.

I´m not very cavy knowledgeable, so you may want to wait for another reply from some who is.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 11:35 am

I think you got it right, IAMPM. Looks like a spur to me too. This is what Snowflake´s spur looks like (oops -- wrong one -- here it is):
Last edited by Lynx on Sat Feb 23, 2002 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:06 pm

Yeah, a spur. 5 of my 8 pigs have them.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:20 pm

So, is it okay to clip it off? It´s rather long.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:23 pm

Pinta says so (I´ve never done it -- I´m a wimp). Just don´t cilp too close to the foot. You could work your way closer until you are satisfied.
Last edited by Lynx on Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:25 pm

I clip it off when I do the nails. It´s just dead skin.

It´s actually dangerous to leave it on. It can get cought in something and tear, leaving the foot susceptible to infection and even bumblefoot.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:27 pm

Thanks Evangeline. I am going to go cut if off right now.

Jac

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:28 pm

Hi,
I think it is a spur, my three (brothers) have them also. The vet told me to trim them, and put "H-Cream" on (for piles in humans). It seems to help, but they are still coming back. I just keep trimming them back when I trim the nails, it doesn´t bother them, so I´ve not taken further action. I wonder if it´s genetic? None of my other pigs have had it, and none of my friends pigs either. Anyone have any ideas on this?
Jac

pigpal

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:52 pm

I think they are just a form of callous, a build up of dead skin. Perhaps more active cavies, on a natural surface of dirt and rocks rather than soft bedding don´t get them as often as caged cavies?

I don´t know, it´s just a thought.

Sonia

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:16 pm

Both Piggy and Tizzy, my two abby girls, have them. I´ve been trimming them for ages with no ill effect. As stated by Pigpal, it´s just like dead skin. Be careful you don´t clip the foot, while you´re at it, though !!!

Peace, Love, and Happiness, Always
Sonia